Chapter 26

KAY, FINE, ON one condition, I'm coming with you," Lucian said, crossing his arms over his chest, daring me to argue. My heart flipped. I'd been hoping for that, and now that he'd said it, I was instantly relieved that someone was going to come with me on this crazy quest.

"Lucian, are you insane too? You're supposed to talk her out of this!" Becky shouted, clearly agitated once again.

"She's made up her mind. There's no way to talk her out of this." His one hand stroked his head methodically.

"You're both nuts!" Becky picked up her jacket and headed for the door.

"What're you so afraid of? You of all people should be backing me up, Becky." I could feel my nostrils flare. I was furious that she wouldn't even consider my plan.

She spun around angrily. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You really think that you're just going to waltz into the Royal Council and tell them, 'Hey, I want to be a member', and they'll give it to you? You have to earn it. This mission will help you live up to that dream. So if you're really serious about that dream of yours, you have to pursue it while you can. If Goran finds a way out of there─"

"I heard you the first time, Elena! He'll destroy us all!" She sounded beyond pissed off. Clearly I had struck a nerve. "Fine, I'm in, but you're all insane."

We flinched as Becky slammed the door behind her.

"I'm in too," Sammy said resolutely.

"Okay." I sighed, not wanting to fight anymore. Fighting was really exhausting.

"So what's the plan? We have to get more than one dragon onboard if we want to pursue this mission." Lucian took a deep breath.

"What? Why?" I asked, confused.

"It's a long trip. The Sacred Cavern is northeast from Tith. It'll take us at least half a day traveling on top of one."

My shoulders slouched in disappointment. I didn't think it was that far, and dragons were my last choice when it came to transportation. I couldn't even consider what it would be like on top of one. The image of landscapes flashing by underneath me made my knees tremble.

"George has no choice. He'll follow Becky," Sammy said in a soft tone. She looked scared and swallowed hard. It was followed by a couple of deep breaths, and she started to look uncertain.

I didn't care if they doubted my plan. Deep down, I knew it was the right thing to do.

"You told Blake about this?" Lucian's arms were folded. He still looked pissed.

"No, he'll tell Master Longwei," I said, not wanting to involve him for my own sanity.

"Elena, he's the Rubicon, he might offer his assistance." Lucian's jaw muscles clenched.

"We have enough people already, Lucian. We can fly with Sammy." I gave her a look, and she nodded back quickly.

"And what if we get into a battle?" he asked.

"Then we fight. You're not a Moon-Bolt, don't try to foresee things," I said, growing frustrated that he kept insisting on bringing Blake along.

"So, take it one step at a time."

I nodded.

He stroked his face and roughly ran his fingers through his hair. "Fine, when do you want to leave?"

"Nightfall at shift change. There's a delay of five minutes," I said confidently.

"Where do we meet?" He started with something that reminded me of an interrogation in a Law and Order courtroom.