Chapter 32

I COULDN'T MOVE. I realized after a couple of seconds that it wasn't coming from me. The Dragonian had made it impossible for me to come any closer. The hoody of my blazer had fallen over my head from the instant stop, and I heard a horrible screeching sound. At first, I thought it was Sammy transforming out of fear, but the sound didn't come from her direction. His Sun-Blast swept low over our heads, and I could see the Dragonian toss the sword up to him.

Brian was the closest to the path that led to the volcano, and he morphed immediately. Everything happened so fast. When I looked again, Brian wasn't in his spot anymore. Arianna recited a spell, but the Dragonian shouted something that sounded like a counter spell, and she fell motionless.

Lucian grunted next to me. I couldn't see him, and when I tried to turn in his direction, my head felt as if it was going to explode.

Becky and George both stood in awkward frozen positions. They must have received the same spell that had me immobilized.

Blake charged toward the Dragonian. As his arm went for the Dragonian's neck, he got blasted back ten paces.

I didn't know if he was okay. It was all so unreal. I couldn't believe any of this was happening.

Sammy couldn't hold back any longer and transformed out of sheer fear. Vines and tree roots sprouted out of the ground, forming hands that grabbed her. They pulled her so tight that I thought she was going to burst in half. She squirmed and tried to wiggle herself out of them, but the more she tried, the thicker the roots became. I could hear a soft hum from the Dragonian, as he recited the words to his spells in rapid succession.

Sammy finally gave up and crashed to the ground. I looked around and noticed Tabitha had disappeared. She'd finally fled like the coward she was. Blake came dashing past me again. Soft hums came from him too, but he stuck to the plan and didn't morph.

The Dragonian shouted a spell with his one arm stretched out in Blake's direction. Blake fell down hard, inches from me and Lucian. Our eyes met for one second and he looked away in defeat. A chill ran up my spine and my stomach turned.

We are going to die.

The Dragonian started to laugh and crouched down next to Blake menacingly. "You really think you could stop me, boy?"

Blake grunted.

I hoped that the Dragonian wasn't hurting him. It was hard for me to understand how strong magic was, and to be honest, it scared the living crap out of me.

"I'll kill you one day," Blake said through clenched teeth. "If it's the last thing I do!"

The Dragonian laughed. He stopped and looked at Blake's arm as he lifted Blake's sleeve with his thumb and forefinger.

"My, my, my, how exciting," the Dragonian said in a flat tone, but the laughter was real. It made my skin crawl. "The Rubicon tried to save the day. It doesn't suit you, Blake Leaf."

Blake growled again, and I could just imagine how defeated he must feel right now. There was nothing else he could have done.

"You're so full of anger," the Dragonian whispered to him. "I revel in the knowledge that deep down inside I know that you like it too." Even though he spoke softly to Blake I still was able to hear the last part. "You won't kill me, boy. You want to know why? Because when you turn, you'll be mine." He laughed again as if this was his favorite game. "Just think what we'll be able to do together. No one will ever get in our way."

"I'll kill myself before that happens," Blake roared like a lion being captured. Somewhere deep inside, I knew that Blake was fighting against that, while the Rubicon rejoiced.