46 | guilty

i leave to take braeden back, and you give away my side of the bed to the puppy.

[ 4.10 ]

Liam sat on Scott's couch, his head in his hands and the night replaying in his mind. Even after showering, he could still pick up on the faint scent of gasoline that caused fear to course through him once more.

Scott was none the wiser to his beta's internal crisis as he rushed downstairs, two motorcycle helmets in hand. "Kira found Brett," he told Liam while handing him a helmet. "They're fine, but we've got to go."

"More assassins?" Liam asked, slowly getting off the couch.

Scott rushed to the door as he spoke. "Maybe a lot more."

"Different than the ones who just tried to set us on fire?" he asked.

"I think so, yeah," Scott said. He stopped in the doorway when he realized Liam wasn't following. Liam was staring at the ground and silently placed the helmet on the kitchen table. Sympathy washed over Scott as he walked up to him. He held out the helmet to Liam, this time for a different reason. "How about I take you home?"

"I'm not like you," Liam mumbled self-consciously.

Scott smiled softly. "Not yet—"

"I don't mean I'm not strong, or I'm never gonna learn how to be in control — I mean everything else," Liam interrupted. He still couldn't look Scott in the eyes as he recalled his talk with Willow a few days ago. It was okay that he wasn't brave. He needed to do what was best to keep himself safe. And he needed to be honest with Scott, so that's what he was doing. "You and your friends... you try to protect everyone. Have you been doing this the whole time? I mean, how are you all still alive?"

"Not all of us are," Scott whispered, his chest tightening as he thought of Aiden and Erica. Of Allison. He once again held out the helmet. "Let me at least take you home."

Liam took the helmet and stared at his reflection in the visor. "Actually, could you take me to Willow's?"

"Yeah," Scott said with a smile. The boy really had latched on to the Incantator that everyone loved. "I'll text her and let her know we're on the way."

☽︎

Derek didn't make a sound as he climbed through the window in Willow's room. There was literally no point to it. Not only were Stiles and Noah not home, but Derek also had a key to the front door. He just liked coming through the window and that would never change.

But once his feet were on the ground, he paused and looked at Willow's bed with a pout on his lips. She was there, hair still wet from her shower where she scrubbed off all the gasoline. But Liam was there as well, curled up into her side. He could tell they were both awake, as Willow was running a comforting hand through Liam's hair while he sighed contently.