Chapter four

~[Y/N]'s POV~
"I- I don't understand. How can you even be alive?" Steve's voice was trembling. He had to be shocked, he hadn't seen his best friend since he fell off that train. He thought that Bucky died.

"It's a long story. I uhm..." Bucky answered, but hesitated to go on. That's when I chose to help him out of this situation.
"He is exhausted, Steve. He needs to rest and I'm sure you two can talk about it later."

Bucky gave me a thankful smile, assuring that he appreciates that I was trying to help.
"Thank you [Y/N], but it's okay. I need to explain what I'm doing here.I have a lot to explain, I guess."
"Indeed, you do Buck." Steve was happy about their reunion, but I can tell that he was a bit suspicious. After those years I spent with him, I could read him like an open book.

"Okay first of all, what happened to you that you look like that now? Covered in wounds? What-who treated you like that?" Steve sounded a bit worried. But he stayed focused. Trying to read his friend's mind.

"It was me." I quickly responded. Steve raised his eyebrows, not believing anything of the bullshit I just said. "Yea, I beat the hell out of him. He couldn't stand a minute when fighting me. You know how good I am, don't you?"
'Okay now you really are exaggerating [Y/N].'

Bucky just started laughing, assuring to Steve that it really was bullshit. It was me who wouldn't be able to stand a minute when fighting him. "Yea, you know it's sweet of you to say that, but no" Bucky now answered. Damn, that was a bit offending to be honest. "I'll tell you everything you want to know, Steve." Bucky was now serious again, not breaking eye contact with his friend.

"Would you leave us alone now, [Y/N]? We have a lot to discuss." All his happiness was gone now. Steve went back into his Captain America mode. That's what I called it. Every time he was that serious about something, it had to do something with our job. Or with their job, specifically. 'Oh so I just have to leave for your little interrogation, huh?'

I didn't say a word, I just glanced over at Bucky for assurance. I don't know, why exactly I did that. But I felt like I needed to protect him. Not, like he needs my protection. He is way stronger than me and he can take care of himself, but still.. there was this instant connection I couldn't hide. I had to find out, what that means.
Bucky nodded to me, telling me that Steve was right. About me leaving now. I didn't hesitate and I almost ran right out of the room.

I didn't pay attention to where I was going until I almost bumped into someone.
"[Y/N] why are you- what's wrong, are you in a rush?" I whirled around to see Natasha standing in the doorframe of my room.

I thought for a moment and I was unsure if I should tell her, what I was worried about. But she would find out anyways, one way or another. Also, I couldn't hide anything from her. Specifically not that.

"Well uhm- do you know someone named Bucky? Uh.. Barnes?" I started and hesitantly looked into her eyes.
Her eyes widened. "Barnes? Why do you ask, from where do you know him?" Natasha was vigilant now, like she heard something that was about to kill us the very next moment. She almost acted like it was such a bad thing I knew him. Like he was bad.

"I wouldn't say that I know him. He appeared at the compound today when you guys were out for this mission. And I-"

I could see the fear in her eyes, when I was talking. She wasn't afraid of him, I could tell. Nat wasn't afraid of anyone. At least she wasn't afraid of that much. But she was afraid of what I would say next. About what I did. 'Dammit I knew I shouldn't have said anything.'

"You know what, nevermind. I should go-" I attempted on going away, not fast, but fast enough. Well it turns out I wasn't fast enough in the end. Nat quickly grabbed my left arm and forced me to stay. "Hey you better listen, young lady. What. Happened. With. Barnes?" Her voice went a bit higher, when she mentioned his name. She knew something about this man, that I didn't know yet... or she just believed that he died back on that day too...