Chapter 4

The moment Chloe arrived back at the compartment, candy was shoved into her pockets.

"Where have you been?" Ron asked as Chloe gave Dizzy a kiss.

"I had a run-in with Malfoy," Chloe answered as she put Dizzy in her cage, gave the Knarl some daisies, Dizzy was still frightened. 

"Did he give you any trouble?" Harry asked as they left the compartment.

"Yeah," Chloe confirmed. "But I was able to handle it with some help." People were pushing their way off the train, and onto a platform.

"Fis' years! Firs' years over here!" Hagrid called, Chloe looked to see he was holding a lamp over their heads. "All right there, Harry?"

"Woah," Ron breathed when he caught sight of Hagrid. 

"C'mon, follow me--any more firs' years? Mind yer step now!" Hagrid instructed. He led them through a steep, narrow path. "Firs' years follow me!" Nobody spoke much, they could all hear Neville sniffling. He led them down to a dock, where multiple boats were located. 

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called. Chloe got into a boat with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Everyone was in awe, staring up at the castle. The castle stood on a cliff, with numerous windows, turrets, and towers. They went through a tunnel to an underground harbor. From there Hagrid led them inside and through the castle. The huge was huge, stone walls lit with flames, they were led that a marble staircase. In front of them stood a tall witch in emerald-green robes. She was drumming her finger on the railing, staring at them with a stern look. 

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said when he reached the top.

"Thank you, I will take it from here," the woman said. Hagrid then slipped into the room behind him. There were other voices, signaling older students were really. "Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats." The students glanced at each other. "They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"Do you hear that?" Chloe whispered as croaking rose.

"Hm?" Hermione asked.

"It sounds like a toad," Chloe said.

"Trevor!" Neville shouted with joy as he ran forward, scooping up the little guy. People laughed as Professor McGonagall stared down at him, he looked up at her, Neville grew embarrassed and made his way back into the crowd. "Sorry."

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall informed. "I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you wait." She disappeared behind the doors. 

"Neville, can I see your toad?" Chloe requested as she put her hands out. "Please?"

"Just be careful," Neville said as he eyed her. "I don't want to lose him again.

"I will," Chloe assured as the toad was placed in her hands. "He sure is cute."

"I wouldn't exactly call a toad cute," Ron disagreed. Chloe turned to him. "It's a toad? People are cute."

"You scared of losing a cute contest to a toad?" Chloe asked.

"I'd win," Ron said confidently. 

"Sorry, but how do they sort us?" Harry asked.

"Some test, Fred said it hurts a lot," Ron answered, Chloe then looked back at Trevor, then back at Ron. Suddenly they heard screaming, they looked up to see ghosts floating in the room. Chloe was used to ghosts, she saw floating through the trees sometimes at home. Along with the ghoul in the Weasley's attic.