FAQs for Critique Partner Match-up

When: FEBRUARY 19th, 12-2pm EST

Where: Airmeet Online Event Venue

Your Hosts: IAmRodneyVSmith, Deb (BrittanieCharmantine), Zoe (Zoe_Blessing), Holly (neverfakeit)

1. What is a critique partner match-up?

Chances are, if you've been writing long enough to have a finished work under your belt (or close to it), you're already familiar with the concept of a critique partner. These are fellow writers who are in the same position you are — they have a piece of work they'd like to get constructive feedback on so they can improve it.

As with any relationship, choosing a critique partner should not be handled lightly. There needs to be mutual trust and respect. After all, you will be sharing your work, and we all know how personal our stories are. Therefore, choosing a crit partner is more than a casual hook-up. Questions need to be answered to determine if there's chemistry between you. It's also important that both parties are at similar stages in their writing experience.

2. Do I have to pay to participate in this event?

No. This is a FREE event. However, there are only 100 spots available.

3. Is there anything that is required of me as a participant in this event?

We're glad you asked. Yes, there is. We want you to think seriously about taking on a critique partner.

To do this, you'll need to participate in the Discord channel discussions prior to the event. Ask questions. Share something about yourself. Then, if you decide you are willing and able to commit the time and effort to working with a crit partner, we will invite you to submit an Interest Form.

On February 4th, this form will be pinned in the public-announcement channel, and the answers you provide will help the WCX team decide which virtual table to place you at, thus giving you the best chance for finding the perfect match.

You will also be required to fill in an Attendee Card once you arrive at the event venue. You can think of this card as a profile page containing information to help your fellow writers learn about you at a glance. There are 5 sections that will need your input:

Name - Country - Bio (67 character limit, including spaces) - Written works (57 character limit) - Writing strength/weakness (53 character limit)

It might help to write out the details ahead of time and have them ready. You will need to complete this step before you enter the venue. Because the sections have extreme character limits, we suggest you choose 2 fun facts to share in your bio. As far as your written works, choose your most popular titles. And offer 1 writing strength and 1 weakness.

4. Will I be matched with a Wattpad Star?

Every writer, no matter their skill level, can benefit from a critique partner, and Wattpad Stars are no different. The Writers Connect team is focused on being inclusive, and we want to see that everyone is paired with someone who closely matches their skill level. This way both parties can benefit fully from the experience. That said, there is every chance you and a Wattpad Star may connect in a way that is mutually beneficial.

5. If there are only 100 spots for this event, how will the participants be chosen?

Participants will be chosen on a first come, first served basis. To be more specific, once all interested parties have had a chance to chat in the Discord channels prior to the event and they understand the commitment required to participate, we hope to have a pool of folks who are fully informed and prepared to make that commitment. When registration opens, anyone who is still interested will be given the opportunity to submit their name.