Prequel : A Life price for another start

Hello, it's me again, with another fanfic. Some might say I should continue other fanfics, and I'm one to wait and wait and scowl when other multi-fandom authors do that. But it's my imagination, its fault I guess.

So recap :
No pairing
Dark Continent Arc
Time-travel story
PS : I love Killua and Kurapika.

Let's start !

Prequel : A LIFE PRICE FOR ANOTHER START

"Remember what it was like to teleport the airship last time ?"

There was the forest. The trees, the leaves, and the half dead body.

"Yes," Nanika answered. Her creepy smile was long gone.

There was a fallen trunk. Half leaning on it rested a young blond man, eyes closed and breath harsh. Killua gave him a guilty, excruciated look before saying again :

"Time is no different. It is just like space, all the moments in your memories are just like different places."

Someone was kneeling in front of the unconscious blond. He was wearing a white long-sleeved shirt, without his habitual black coat, and his raven hair were let down before his calm eyes, a piece of cloth tied around his head covered his forehead.

"I see. But I can only teleport living people, unlike with space. Also, it seems I have a distance… no, time restriction."

"How many people can you teleport ?"

"Anyone, but I can't teleport myself. And I can't teleport Kurapika."

Killua took a silent double take. He tried not to turn over the dying figure of his friend. He felt Kuroro still in his back.

"Why not ?"

"I'm not able to deliver him from the chains."

Kuroro frowned. No one asked.

"What will happen to people from this time if we go ?"

"They are left in this time until they die."

Killua bit his lips. Without help, most of their friends would die. Leorio had been killed already in the boat. Then… Gon… Killua could hear his best friend's voice in his mind, telling him to find a solution with insistance. How he wished he still had tears to cry.

No one talked, until Kurapika woke up. He seemed to have heard their last bit of discussion. He removed the soaked tissue on his eyes as he did his best to straighten. Kuroro never had to take care of a sworn enemy before, he was at a loss of actions when the other male shoved him aside. When Kurapika finally opened his eyes, his irises were a bright red, proof of the violent pain he was trying to supress. He strained them on the kid.

"Killua. I don't need you to worry over me. I need you to save Gon and Leorio. And all the others. You have to."

"But Kurapika, if we let you hear alone you are going to d-"

"I am to die with you or not. Alluka, Senritsu, this bastard and you, are going to return the furthest away in the past to stop the end of your world. If anything, you have to inform my counterpart of what is going on so he can help you. Now…"

Killua shot up on his feets, hands in fists.

"How can you say that so easily ? Don't you fear death ? Don't you fear being alone !"

Kurapika silently looked at the shaking figure of his friend. From anger or horror, he couldn't decipher. But in the end, that was why he had to do it. If only for them… He smiled.

Senritsu took the new found silence as a chance to express herself :

"Kurapika, Alluka just said she couldn't bring herself with us in the past, how-...!"

Killua didn't know what made the woman stop in her tracks, suddenly paling. She held her hands to her ears, and Killua stiffened at once. He couldn't know there was no beast around, that it was only Kurapika's heartbit. He didn't know, until Kurapika sent a sorry smile to her friend who was still frozen. He then turned back to Killua and Nanika.

"There is no other way, she has to come with you. Forgive me," he whispered just as he activated his ability. "Emperor Time !"

"No!" was Killua's reaction, but even with godspeed he wouldn't have been able to make it. The syringe attacked Nanika who didn't even budge.

Kurapika steadied himself into a half standing position, his eyes glowing a furious red. "Now or never, it is. Return now, through this gate !"

As soon as the words left the barrier of his lips, an intense light appeared from behind them, forming into a blinding vortex.

Alluka was the first to be aspired in the interdimensional gate, Senritsu though the further away was second. Killua tried his best to reach his friend, not to be absorbed into the light mass trying to engulf him.

"Kurapika !"

But he wasn't strong enough, he could only hang on a bit longer. Kurapika found in himself the strength to reach out for Killua. To the young boy's surprise, he was taken in the blond's embrace. A desperate, strong embrace. Killua froze. Yeah, even in this weak state, Kurapika was the strong friend who supported them, always, and he would still be, until the very end.

His arms slowly pressed against Kurapika's back, and new tears came to his eyes.

"Killua, wherever you go, whenever you end, you will never be alone. I know you won't, because I know there will always be someone by your side. Someone you love, someone who loves you, who will protect you or who you'll want to protect. And it is because you are such a great person that they'll be willing to be with you. Why Gon wanted to stay by your side. And I too. It is because you are willing to help others, in the depth of your heart. So…" Killua was crying out loud now, not able to contain it anymore. He heard Kurapika's voice too, it was craqueling. But he was still smiling. "So stay strong, Killua. For me, Gon, Leorio, and all our friends we are leaving behind. Do it for us."

"Kurapika-...!" a cry broke Killua's voice. Kurapika's arms squeezed one last time as he whispered in his ear :

"I will watch you from above."

And he let go.

Killua debated against Kuroro's grip, screaming against fate. He saw Kurapika's lips move again, as he was falling down against the trunk. He also heard mumbles almost reaching his ear, when Kuroro was replying. If anything, all he knew was that at one point Kuroro covered his eyes, and then all faded to white.

"I will watch over you all."

"Promise."

Hi back. You finished the prequel. Was it fine ? Anyways, see you all soon I guess !