- Chapter 9 -

Summary: You and Levi struggle to ease the suspicions that the two of you are involved, and it only makes matters worse.

Notes: Hello! Sorry for the wait, I've basically deleted and rewrote this chapter so many times because I didn't like the way it was turning out. But after lots of revisions, I'm finally satisfied. I also wanted to get this one asap because it will set up the next one nicely.

Btw this one is more focused on Levi's mindset/pov, just want to make it so that you're able to see the inner turmoil so that there's more substance to what's happening. Enjoy! :)

---

Seeing that Levi was about to make a move to speak first, you immediately cut in before he could, stepping closer to Erwin, who seemed surprised, yet interested in what you had to say.

Levi's eyes were practically burning into the side of your face when you did, afraid of what would come out of your mouth, but you simply ignored it.

"Sir, there seems to be some confusion amongst the scouts, including myself. This is the first time I hear of these...rumors, but I think they started when I was put under Captain Levi's supervision for probation three months ago." You said, stumbling over your words a bit as you tried to choose them carefully.

There is a fine line between a truth and a lie, and you were about to walk on it smoothly. Of course, you wanted to defend yourself in a way that wasn't too incriminating, but you also didn't want to help Levi's case by completely denying it, either.

Sure, it was petty, but you were only treating him like he did you. Fair was fair, and you refused to get caught up in this mess with him.

So, you figured that you needed to take some pressure off of yourself, which meant using Levi as bait. It might've been a risky game you were playing, considering that he was probably planning your death as soon as the words left your lips-- but that was a chance you were willing to take.

He wasn't going to bring you down with him, not after he managed to fuck you over for so long. And although you'd hate to admit it, he genuinely hurt you, and even if it was out of your character to be an instigator, getting back at him offered you some relief.

"As you know, Captain Levi and I do not particularly get along. He is quick to punish me for small mistakes, argues at the slightest notion of disrespect, and has now even taken the liberty to call me in for meetings to discuss my 'disobedience' late at night when I am trying to rest." You explained when Erwin nodded, prompting you to continue.

There was complete silence from Levi. Other than the feeling of his eyes on you, you would've forgotten he was even there.

You fought back a smile as you took a breath, knowing that he probably didn't expect this from you.

"With all this, It seems easy to believe that there is something else happening, but I can assure you it is because of this man's everlasting hatred towards me. Everyone here knows how he has treated me since I've joined the Survey Corps, even you, Commander Erwin, and frankly, I am just as confused as you all are." You shrugged tiredly, and Erwin tilted his head at that, listening intently to all you said.

In your peripheral vision, you watched Levi's reaction. His gaze was still fixed straight ahead, yet you could almost feel the anger radiating off of him the more you slandered his name.

Although you two weren't in a great place right now, being used as a scapegoat was the last thing he expected during a time when he thought you could put your differences aside.

You could've easily denied said rumors, but you were almost making a game out of how much you could say about him before you did.

The more you spoke, the more he kicked himself for ever having touched you in the first place. He cursed himself for losing his patience with the strict rule he punished himself with for years to stay away from you.