five ☽ pure chaos

Superstition often went hand-in-hand with magic and that was something that Cora had grown up knowing. So it only made sense that when Cora's coven, her father's coven really, rejected her due to the magic that flooded her veins, Cora reject the superstitions and rituals that came with being a witch.

It's why she never believed in visions or prophecy nor did she believe in omens, whether they were good or bad. If Cora was a believer in omens...well, let's just say she wouldn't have made it this far in life.

Unfortunately, the witches of New Orleans were big believers in the traditions and rituals that came with being witches. So much so that they would dare to attempt a barbaric ritual such as The Harvest to "renew" their link to the ancestors. To Cora, that sounded like a load of crap. Then again, she didn't have all that much experience with dead ancestors and whatever their demands might be.

It seemed that Sophie Devereux had once thought along the same lines that Cora did, and apparently New Orleans witches were just as superstitious as one might expect them to be.

Cora never thought she would enjoy watching Klaus Mikaelson, the supernatural world's resident madman yell at someone who was so clearly outmatched. That was probably the freshness of Hayley's attempted murder (and Cora's borderline fatal injury!) talking.

"We had a deal! You protect my unborn child, I dismantle Marcel's army. And whilst I've been busy fulfilling my part of the bargain, you allowed Hayley to be attacked and almost killed by a gaggle of lunatic witches."

"I had nothing to do with it, I swear. Hayley and I are linked, remember? She dies, I die."

"Then who were they?" Rebekah demanded, her arms crossed over her chest. Cora wasn't entirely sure why it mattered. Whoever they were, they were witches and witches didn't really need too much of a prompt to become murderous. That was something Cora knew from personal experience.

"They are a faction of extremists. Sabine stupidly told them about some vision she had about the baby."

A vision, because, of course, it was. Cora couldn't help but roll her eyes, annoyed that a hypothetical vision of the future was something that anyone even bothered to believe in.

"What kind of vision?" Klaus demanded, his voice uncharacteristically even. Perhaps he was saving his rage for Sabine.

"She has them all the time. They are totally open to interpretation. I'm guessing she's wrong on this one."

"Well, how, may I ask, was this particular vision interpreted?"

"Pretty much that your baby would bring death to all witches."

Cora couldn't help the way she glanced over at Hayley and then her eyes drifted to Hayley's stomach. If the baby in question did mean death to all witches...Cora wouldn't really care. Maybe the world would be better off without the self-righteous lot of them.

"Ah, well. I grow fonder of this child by the second," Klaus remarked with a slight smirk.

"Sophie, look, I promised Elijah that I would protect the Mikaelson miracle baby whilst he tries to win your witch Davina's loyalty. Why don't you tell me just how extreme this faction is?"

It was then that Sophie started to explain why the young witch, Davina, had chosen to help the vampires over her fellow witches. It had to do with the Harvest, an ancient ritual that Cora had only heard about. It was a barbaric, sacrificial ritual. Sophie explained that it was only done every three centuries to restore the bond to the ancestral magic.

"They had the girls of our community preparing for months. Four would be chosen for the Harvest. They said that it was an honour, that they were special. I thought it was a myth."