twelve ☽ portent of evil

Rebekah's devious plan to use Davina against Klaus and Marcel had been thwarted by Klaus's notably more devious plan that somehow always had to include murder. The day's events had left Davina exhausted and devastated and clearly in no position to aid Rebekah in any plans of payback. Still, Rebekah still had a weapon or two in her arsenal.

So, she let it slip the events in which Klaus had threatened Cora's life, which would certainly set off her more even-tempered brother.

"I warned you, Niklaus," Elijah's voice was the level of calm that he only used on his worst enemies. "That if you ever put your hands on her–"

Elijah landed a blow against his brother which was done with enough force that Klaus's cheek split open. It would heal over quickly enough, but by god, was it satisfying to see the blood spill down his face.

"Here I thought we were one big, happy family again."

"When I thought you had dropped our family to the bottom of the ocean, she was all I had." Elijah broke off the leg of a chair, fashioning a makeshift stake. "An action against Cora is an action against me."

"She's human, Elijah. She won't live long enough for it to matter," Klaus answered dryly, prompting his brother to stab him with the makeshift stake. The hybrid groaned in pain as Elijah twisted it in deeper.

"If she dies, it will not be by your hand, brother, or so help me, I will move heaven and earth to deliver you a punishment in which you will know only pain and suffering as long as I see fit. Are we quite clear?"

Elijah let go of Klaus, straightening his clothes as though he hadn't spent the past several minutes beating up his little brother. Klaus ripped the wooden stake out of his stomach and dropped it on the ground with an angry growl. Then he turned his attention to the nearest person.

"What the bloody hell are you staring for? Clean this all up!"

Klaus left then, nothing on his mind but rage directed towards his brother. And perhaps...the tiniest bit of regret which would pass soon enough.

Elijah's gaze shifted to the balcony where he noticed Cora was standing, clearly having caught the end of the fight. She looked at him with an indiscernible expression and then she turned away. Elijah went after her, following her back to her room.

The moment that he entered, the door swung closed behind him, an action that Cora had induced with the flick of her wrist. The witch looked at him with her arms crossed over her chest.

"I can handle your brother, Elijah."

"He is my burden to handle. The least I can do for you is spare you of his tantrums."

Cora didn't argue with him, knowing that it would do nothing to persuade him otherwise. Elijah was endlessly noble, a fact that seemed to only grow if you were someone that he cared for.

Cora relaxed her stance and asked,

"Did you find Davina?"

"Indeed. She's not entirely pleased to be back, considering Niklaus murdered her one true love."

"You know those signs that are like x amount of days without accident?" Cora began thoughtfully. "That's what it feels like to be involved in your family. Except no need to change the number because it's always at zero."

"Does that mean you're having regrets?"

"Do I have you?" Cora asked, wrapping her arms around his neck. Elijah smiled as he pulled her close.

"You always have me, my dear Cora."

"Then, no regrets."

It felt as though they might be figuring out who they were together in this very complicated area of their lives. So, it seemed only appropriate that their lips met, however briefly.