thirteen ☽ i really like ruining rituals

Cora's necklace, the one that cloaked her and her magic, was placed around Davina's neck as she and Marcel took her away from the compound. Though Cora's own magic was faint and as such, her awareness was not what it was, she could sense Davina's magic coming out in bursts, trying desperately to escape. It was like she was bleeding on a psychic, magic level.

It seemed that no man became King of the Quarter without a couple of secrets along the way. In this case, one of Marcel's secrets was a particular location by the docks where he and Cora took Davina. There was a bed there where Marcel put Davina carefully.

From then, it was only a matter of waiting for her to wake up. A part of Cora knew that Davina should stay unconscious, but maybe because a part of her already knew how the day was going to end, she didn't have the heart to say otherwise.

Davina sat up with a start, throwing her arm towards Marcel, knocking him back with a violent burst of magic.

"I'm not gonna hurt you!"

"I don't believe you! You want to kill me just like everyone else."

"I'm the one who put a protection spell on you, Davina. That's why Tim's dead and you're not. And before you throw me again, if I had known anything was gonna happen to your friend, I would have protected him, too."

"You're the one who saved me?"

"Yeah," Marcel answered, quieter now. He nodded towards Cora who seemed uncertain of her place there. "Cora's gonna help me protect you."

"That's what the necklace is for," Cora said as she walked over to sit down at Davina's side. "If they try any locator spells, they won't be able to track you."

"This is your necklace," Davina realized, holding the purple crystal with her fingertips. Cora nodded her head with a tight smile.

"Yeah, one of my little tricks."

Cora took Davina's hand, her thumb drifting down to steady Davina's pulse as before. The young witch looked at Cora, the traces of purple light in her blue eyes flickering inconsistently.

"I can feel your magic," Davina murmured. "It's weak."

"Yeah, and I promise you, Davina, that I'll use all of it if it means saving you."

"I'm scared. I don't know what's wrong with me," Davina admitted in a small voice, her gaze shifting to Marcel. He sat down on her bed and took her into his arms tightly.

"You're not alone. We'll fix this."

"You won't let them hurt me?"

"No. Nobody's gonna touch you," Marcel promised, laying a kiss on Davina's head. Cora felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and she checked the name flashing across the screen.

Elijah.

She rejected the call, but stood up anyway, intent on making a different call. She stepped away from Davina and Marcel, hoping that she might be able to uncover some loophole, a last-ditch attempt to save Davina and New Orleans from the wrath of nature.

"I'm still working on your magic problem, Cora."

"This is something else, Theo. Remember the botched Harvest I mentioned?"

"Yes?"

"One girl survived and according to the local witches, if they don't complete the Harvest, New Orleans will be destroyed by the elements, ending in fire." There was a pause on Theo's end following Cora's words. 

"Is there a question in there?"

"I can't let this girl die, Theo. She watched her friends get murdered and a whole lot of other traumatizing shit. I need a loophole. Witches always have loopholes."