Chapter 7

Tw: Mentions of being a dissapointment, angst, this chapter is just sad over all...

Y/n: Your Name

A/N: The pic is a diaphram of M/C's scar if it wasn't clear before. It's pretty standard, so there's that. Also, this chapter is so sad. I cried writing this 😢
~~~~~~~~~~

Newspapers flew along the street. The headline reads, "NEW SERUM SAVES MILLIONS." I scoff at it.

And who's invention was neo-mend? Who died for it? WHO SUFFERED FOR THIS?

I furrow my brows and grind my teeth before picking the trash paper up. I push my cloak back behind my shoulders and force the paper in my bag.

It's been two weeks and, there is already a story about what happened. And, of course, my invention's story is more important than mine and everyone has heard it by now. Even people in the undercity are trying to get their hands on neo-mend.

Of course, the copycat version of neo-mend was less potent than the real thing. It was sad, really.

I turn on my heels and walk back to headquarters. Silco let's me roam around as I please, despite basically being his henchman. Actually, we are more like business partners. I just let him tell me what to do. I'd have too much freetime if he didn't boss me around.

~Time Skip~

I walk into the base and close the door behind me. The other people working for Silco give me one look before turning away. They can't recognize my footsteps like they can for everyone else, not yet atleast.

"Silco wants to "talk" to ya." One of the workers, Singed, blurt out.

He is one of the other scientist that I met on my first day. He hates me, but I don't blame him. A newbie like me comes in and suddenly, I am Silco's #1 after Singed worked with him for longer, I would be mad at me too.

"I know," I say as I walk past Singed and into the corridor.

I get to Silco's office and knock. Silco hums beyond the barrier in approval and I walk in.

"Singed said you wanted to talk, but I need to talk too." I am blunt, no reason to beat around the bush. It's not like I'm being rude, too.

Silco puts down his pen and looks up at his paper. Both of his eyes bore into me. "Well, the matter I need to discuss is important, you can wait." I nod before Silco continues. "I have projects for you. You will be working hard everyday from now on, but dont worry. You'll work in this room, with me. You're needs will be met, as long as you have what I need. Of course, my demands won't be to harsh."

I nod again, "Thank you. I am very appreciative of your faith in me, Silco."

Silco gives me a look that only I get. The look of empathy. Silco gets up and walks towards me. His eyes soften and he has an almost sad look to him. He stops a foot away from me and stares into my eyes.

"You don't have to be so formal around me, Y/N," Silco says in a gloomy tone. His voice is upset but in a soft, not so angry way, "You don't work for me. Actually.. I see you more as a friend than anything, even if we just met. And even so, you've shown me nothing but loyalty, persistence, I..." It was so strange to watch, but a singular tear ran down Silco's face. "-I will never understand how someone as precious as you could be treated like how you where. How can society hate you like this? Such a great companion, scientist, killed for simply existing."

I advert my gaze and I try my hardest to have a straight face. My jaw is clenched so tight I can feel the tension in my ears. I take big deep breathes and engorged myself on air harshly. I trembled a bit and held my tears back with so much effort I felt a migraine coming on.

No one has genuinely cared about me. No one has bothered to see me as someone other than a genius, or a thieving hobo. No one has been empathic to me. No one, not even Viktor, as valued me this much before or seen my full potential.

Silco pulls my face up and searches for something in my eyes, probably the emotion I am feeling. I can't help it any more and fat tears roll onto my cheeks. Silco doesn't wipe the tears away, and instead, he traces the scar the lays flat across my nose.

"Let it out, Y/N. It's ok to be sad. I am, too," Silco says quietly as he pulls me in.

I don't pull my arms up from my sides at first, but I don't leave. I cry even more, I sob. I can finally feel appreciated. I can finally feel safe.