2 - Goodbyes and Propositions

Reading has always been peaceful to Regulus, a place to escape to where people can be whoever the author decides.

Regulus had never liked things that his brother had. The attention, the pranks, the arrogant persona he had put on when he first left for Hogwarts.

They had been quite close as children, their parents had done as much as they could to keep them apart but at the end of the day they only had eachother. So they would do everything together, oh how Regulus cried on the day Sirius hugged him before leaving to hop onto the Hogwarts Express. He had waved erratically at Regulus with a huge grin on his face while he tried to force a smile back but the sadness was much larger then he could fake.

"Stop your crying Regulus you are tainting the Black name" his mothers words had straightened his back and wipe his tears but his childish sniffles caused his mother to scoff and hit him on the back with her cane.

When Sirius hadn't returned for Christmas Regulus had been hurt, felt abandoned. Sirius hadn't come home until summer and he barely looked at Regulus anymore. He had put up photos of his gryffindor friends on the wall above his bed, Regulus had come to despise the smiling boy next to his brother. His glasses slightly askew and their ties wrapped around their foreheads.

The smiling boy in the photo had taken his brother, and now he was completely different. It was no longer Sirius and Regulus against the world.

It was Sirius and James, while Regulus was left on the sidelines.

"Potter, I need to talk to you" James' eyes widened at the sight of Regulus in front of him, standing awkwardly while all of his friends stared confused at the slytherin.

"Um... why?" Regulus' cheeks went slightly red as he noticed the group of gryffindors staring at him. Their study group being interrupted by Sirius' younger brother.

"Please" Regulus' whispered plea causing James to stare at him for a second more before nodding to get up, despite the gryffindors protests.

His brother stared at him with a look of disdain and confusion before returning to his conversation with a scarred boy who's nose was trapped in a book.

Regulus scoffed at his brother before turning to walk away with James trailing behind him until they were out of the library.

"Is there a reason you needed me?" James' confusion made Regulus roll his eyes turning back to face James.

"No Potter I said I needed to talk so I could lure you out and kill you... Of course there's a reason!" James tilted his head in a way that reminded Regulus of a puppy.

"Well? go on then" Regulus had a comeback on the tip of his tongue before he remembered why he had needed to talk to James Potter of all people.

"I- I need a favor" James' confusion had returned as he stared at the stuttering boy in front of him.

"What?" Regulus glared at James for a second before lowering his head back to the floor.

"It's for a... prank" James' eyes widened slightly but urged him to continue. "On... Sirius"

"Oh now I'm listening, go on baby Black I love some good marauder-on-marauder crime" Regulus went to yell at James his awful idea of a nickname before resigning himself, after all he did need James for this to work.

"Well I just thought, you're his bestfriend. So- what would be a better prank then to... go after you" James laughed at Regulus but the confusion was still apparent on his face.

"If you're going to kill me you probably shouldn't tell me about it" Regulus scoffed hitting James on the arm lightly.

"I'm not going to kill you?! I meant... date you" Regulus' cheeks were burning with embarrassment as James just stared at Regulus with wide eyes and flushed cheeks. "Fake dating! Obviously..."

"Oh... yeah, yeah it makes sense. So you do have a prankster side" Regulus looked away from James, not being able to hold eye contact with him for much longer. "I'm in"

"Oh... Actually?" Regulus' stared up at James shocked, their height difference becoming very apparent to him as James towered over him with a smirk. Regulus had been hoping James would agree of course. But he didn't actually expect him to say yes.

"Yes really, so what's the gameplan star-boy"

___________

I'm planning on posting one chapter every Thursday. I used to hate when authors would make me wait forever for new chapters but after writing fics I understand. With my old books I'd try to get chapters out fast and that made them lack detail, have spelling mistakes and I got burnt out quickly trying to get out like 3 chapters a week.

TLDR: New chapter every Thursday

See you next time 🤙