Miguel

Chapter 3

The rain pelts on my skin as I walk after an unconscious Derek on Scott's shoulder... teenage Derek... Deaton knocks everything off the metal table as Scott places him down. My eyes glance over his features.

I take a deep breath, "This can't be real... come on. Doc there's no way." I ramble as I start pacing the room. "Maybe it's just a dream?" I let out a wince as I pinch the skin on my wrist. "Definitely not a dream." I walk back over to Deaton who has his eyes transfixed onto Derek.

"Wow." He breathes.

"Wow?" Stiles darts his eyes to him. "Wow as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow? 'Cause, that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." 

"What do we do?" I ask as I rub my wrist. "I mean, he can't stay like this forever."

Lydia picks up his hand, "He's cold. Really cold." Deaton grabs his wrist before checking his pulse.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asks.

"I can't be the older-younger sister." I  furrow my brows. "Or the younger-older sister... you know what I mean." I shake my head.

Deaton takes a light and shines it into Derek's eyes, "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience."

"So what do we do with him?" Stiles questions.

"Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?"

"If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia asks.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone but her."

Stiles lets out a scoff, "And bad for everyone else." I let out a breath as I grab Derek's hand.

That bloody woman has caused my family so much pain and suffering and even today she continues to do that... That's gotta stop. She has to be stopped.

"You guys should probably go home," Deaton speaks up as his eyes glance over at us. "He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night... And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you." Scott looks up.

"I'm staying." I nod my head. "He's my brother."

"Yeah... remember what happened the last time he saw you?" Stiles glances at me. 

"Stiles is right," Deaton confirms. "Seeing you might put him over the edge. Maybe we should wait and see how things are when he wakes up." I run a hand through my hair.

I don't want to leave him, but I last time he saw me he lost consciousness so... maybe I shouldn't stay.

"Fine." I breathe out.

"I'll stay," Lydia speaks up from next to me. "My grades are fine... Despite missing a few classes."

"I'm so not okay with this." Stiles stands up straighter.

"Guys, go."

"No." He drawls out. 

"Text us if anything happens." Scott looks at Lydia. 

"Nope, still not okay with it. Not going anywhere."  Scott grabs his arm and pulls him towards the door. "All right, just 'cause you're stronger..." I rub Derek's cheek before looking up at Deaton and Lydia.