Arrested

Chapter 23

"Yes, Stiles I'm coming right now."

"But do you mean right now as in right now? Or right now as in 'I'll be there after I finish changing all the lightbulbs in my house?'"

"Stiles." I let out a huff. "I'll be there right now right now. I just forgot my helmet, okay."

"But how-" I hang up the phone before he can launch into another long, drawn-out explanation that will probably make me even later. Shaking my head, I continue up the loft stairs until I hear voices sounding from inside the room.

"Do you really think you won't be coming back?" Braeden asks. I take a step closer to the door, trying not to make any sound.

"Not alive." Derek's voice replies causing my heart to sink in my chest. Why is Derek so pessimistic about surviving? I know a banshee literally predicted his death, but he should at least try to save himself. Then again positivity has never been in Derek's vocabulary.

"You know I'm not okay with that." Silence overtakes the loft until I hear the sound of their lips. I cringe, wanting desperately to stop listening, but also wanting to know what else they're going to say next.

After a couple of disturbing moments, Derek whispers, "I am. If it saves Scott and Kira. I know my sister, and she will never be able to live with herself if she loses them."

"What about losing you? How do you think she's gonna take that."

It's silent in the loft and I'm about to block my ears again when Derek takes a deep breath, "To be honest, I don't even know if this is enough firepower to take down one Berserker." He says, completely changing the topic, throwing me off guard. Doesn't he know I would do everything in my power to save him? To save them all? 

I'm not losing Derek. I'm not losing any of them.

"Not even close." Peter's voice suddenly sounds. I really hope he wasn't there the whole time. Then again, so was I. "Killing a Berserker is next to impossible. It's not just the firepower, it's breaking the animal spirit from the human."

"Well, the only person we know with that kind of experience is Argent, and he's not getting back to me."

"Well, then you're going to need help. Like Malia, Nina, maybe Liam, definitely me." He pauses for a moment before his voice sounds louder than before, "Nina, you can come out now." Sheepishly I open the loft doors feeling 3 pairs of eyes on me. "How nice of you to join us." He says smirking at the glare I send him.

"What are you doing?" Derek asks slowly from beside Braeden with raised brows.

"Um... I was just-" I reach forward and grab and helmet off the side table, "Getting my helmet." Without another look, I whip around and briskly walk out of the loft.

Dammit Peter... couldn't you just let me eavesdrop in peace? Next time I'll make sure to return the favor.

I step down the last few steps and come face to face with someone I don't expect, "Parrish?" I frown glancing around the area. "What are you doing here? Did Stiles send you? I told that kid I would be a little late and what does he go and do-"

"Stiles didn't send me." He says without any amusement on his face.

"Then why are you here?"

"I don't want to have to do this." He says taking another step closer.

"Do what?" I frown, resisting the urge to step back.

Suddenly something cold is placed against my wrist followed by a click. I glance down to see a handcuff locked around my left wrist.