Forty Five Minutes

Chapter 15

"I hate this so much," I mutter under my breath, my eyes fixated on Scott's body lying on the steel morgue table. He looks dead. And if I don't listen long enough, he sounds dead too.

Kira walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder, "Nina, it's only for a short while then everything will be okay. I promise." I nod my head slowly, as I pull my eyes away from Scott to hers.

"What if we're too late?" I fret, a knot deepening in my stomach.

"I won't let that happen. He's my friend too remember." She cracks a small smile but it fades as she looks over her shoulder. "Look, do you think you could go comfort Liam? He hasn't calmed down since it happened." I follow her gaze to see Liam in his own world as he paces around the morgue. He didn't even lift his head towards us when she said his name, like a Werewolf, would usually do.

I nod my head and take a few steps over towards him, "Liam." I say, but he doesn't seem to hear me as he continues his pacing. "Liam!" I say a bit more forcefully, grabbing a hold of his arm. He looks up at me with wide eyes before looking down at my hand on his arm. "Sorry," I mutter releasing my grip. "It's going to be okay, Liam."

"How do you know that?" He says, surprising me with how soft his voice sounds.

"Scott's a True Alpha, which means he's a hell of a lot stronger than any of us. And, he's Scott McCall. He wouldn't give up on us. Especially not you." I bring my hand forwards and pat his head.

He freezes for a moment before grumbling out, "I'm not a baby," and stepping away.

"I know." I smile down at him. "Your hair was a bit messy."

He opens his mouth to retort something when a blood-curdling scream sounds from outside the door. Mrs. McCall.

Even though I know she knows that her son is still alive, having to go through that moment where doctors tell you otherwise must be dreadful. It's a scenario no mother wants to picture. No person for that matter.

A deathly silence falls over the morgue as Mrs. McCalls cries sound just outside the door before she takes a step inside. She continues wiping her eyes, a sniffle sounding every now and then. She takes a deep breath as she approaches Scott's body on the table. Her eyes soften before she pulls her gaze away to us standing around the table.

"I still hate this plan. I mean, this is pretty significantly terrifying. He looks dead."

"Give me your hand." Mrs. Yukimura says kindly. Mrs. McCall looks over to Stiles who nods his head softly.

"It's okay." He says looking uncharacteristically subdued. She places her hand in Mrs. Yukimura's extended one, who places it on Scott's chest. Her eyes become teary as she tries to remove her hand.

"Wait for it." After a few more seconds I hear a faint heartbeat sounding. The same one I've been listening to since we've got here.

Mrs. McCall's face relaxes, "Is that enough to keep a Werewolf alive?"

"Enough for an Alpha."

"How much time do we have?"

"Forty-five minutes."

"What happens after that?"

"I bring him back the same way." Kira pipes up from next to me.

"No, I mean, what happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes?" Her gaze looks around at our faces but none of us have the stomach to tell her.

"No one's told her?" Mrs. Yukirmura looks at us exasperatedly.

"What?" She asks, her voice coming out harder. "What happens after forty-five minutes?"