Lucia

Chapter 19

My eyes move over to the woman sitting in the far corner of the room, huddling against the wall not for warmth but for comfort. She sits still but I can see her mind zoning in and out as she stares transfixed at the crumbled photo in her hand. I pull my eyes away from her, feeling my heart ache even more in my chest. 

This is all my fault. I wasn't fast enough, strong enough. And now her kid's dead.

"I've got some good news and some bad news," Argent's voice sounds as he walks over to me. "Which do you wanna hear first?"

"Might as well go with the good," I let out a huff as I hop off the table.

"Her name's Lucia."

"Lucia?" I mutter, testing the name out on my tongue. "That sounds just like a villain's name. Wait, so what's the bad news?" I frown, starting to feel a little bit worried.

"They don't know where she is."

"Well, that's brilliant." I scoff, my heart sinking. "How am I supposed to find her if the only thing I know about her is her name?"

"Cause I think I might know where she is."

Hope sparks in my chest again as I look back into his eyes, "Really?"

"It's just an idea." His eyes drift over to Eva in the corner of the room before looking back to me, "Shouldn't you let her know what happened? She and her husband?" 

"I think they already know. The police found his body and he was on the list. I don't know if I can tell them the whole truth."

"At least give her what's in your pocket. They deserve that much." With one look in Argent's eyes, I already know the pain that is hidden beneath them. Obviously, I've never lost a child but I can imagine how painful that must be. I take a deep breath, mentally preparing myself, before walking over to her. 

"Um...I-I... You know..." I try to form but the words just don't seem to come out properly. Her eyes reach over to mine with confusion lacing them. Instead, I reach into my pocket and pull out the black box before gently pushing it toward her. The confusion on her face intensifies as she glances from the box and then back to me.

"Wha- I don't understand. Why are you giving me this." She questions, still not reaching for the box.

"It's from Leo." I eventually say, placing the box on the table next to her.

Her face drops as she visibly freezes in her spot, "You knew Leo?"

"Briefly. Um..." I move my gaze around the room to see everyone involved in their own conversations further in the room. "Um- I was there when Leo- um... when it happened."

Eva's eyes widen as she takes a step closer toward me, "What happened to my dear boy?" She asks hastily.

"Didn't the cops tell you?"

"I know it was a murder. For the Deadpool. But I don't know anything else. I just wanna know what happened."

I look at her eager face and wonder if I should tell her at all. It can't possibly help to know that a psychopathic hunter murdered her son in cold blood. Or that he was in pain when he died. That would just make it harder on her.

But do I want to lie to her? Is that the right thing to do? Or does she deserve to know what really happened to her son?

"I was driving home that night when-" I glance over her soft eyes as she listens in eagerly to every word. I take a breath. "And I-um I heard a crossbow. I went to check it out and I saw him there."