I Love You

Chapter 13

I keep walking further into the room, my eyes traveling to everything sitting on the shelves. Most things I recognize, but some I didn't even know we owned. After picking up countless objects and memorable, my eyes fall upon a jar of what appears to be some sort of mushrooms.

"Now you, I don't remember." I pick up the jar and upon the lid. The smell hits my senses instantly and I almost jam the lid back on. This smells just like the tea Satomi used to make for me and my family. Out of curiosity, I lift up a piece of the mushroom and take a bite. "Okay, now I remember you." I slam the lid back on and push the jar further away into the corner of the shelf, declaring to never set eyes upon it again.

"What's that?" Kira asks, appearing next to me.

"I believe, that was Reishi mushrooms- ugh." I shake my head trying to clear the vile taste from my mouth. "Disgusting If you ask me."

"Why did your family keep it them." She asks picking up the jar.

"Don't know really. I think deep down my mom loved the taste. Somehow."

"You know, this is where it all started," Stiles's voice sounds from behind us. I turn around to see him sitting on the floor, holding Malia in his arms. "That's where the money was." He points over to the safe sitting near the entrance we went through. "One hundred and forty-seven million in bearer bonds."

"How do you even change bearer bonds into cash?" Kira questions placing the jar back on the shelf.

"Bank, I guess. He just let it sit here the whole time, collecting dust. You know bearer bonds are basically extinct?"

"Why does it matter?"

"You know how many problems that money could solve?"

"For you?"

"Me, my dad..." He lets out a sigh, "The Eichen House and MRI bills are killing him."

"My mom does this thing," Scott speaks up after a silence. "She writes down all the items in our budget, and how much they cost, and then she adds them all up and figures out how long we have until... we lose the house." My heart aches in my chest as I take a seat down next to him.

"If you ever need any help, I'm here. You know that right?"

"I couldn't take your money."

"Well, then I'll give you Derek's." He lets out a chuckle before looking down at his hands. It's silent for a few moments until he brings his eyes back to mine. "How are you feeling?"

I pause for a moment as I scan through my body, "Fine actually. My headache's gone. I feel... fine." My brows furrow.

How do I feel fine when everyone else here is feeling symptoms?

"Can you shift?" I flick my claws but nothing comes out.

Maybe I'm just experiencing it differently then...

"Nope still nothing." I shake my head and turn my attention back to him. "What about you?"

"I still can't control it, but..." He says slowly before looking down at my hands. He reaches over and intertwines our fingers. "It helps to have you here." I look down at our connected hands feeling a knot forming in my stomach. My eyes fall onto Stiles standing by the door with his ear against the concrete.

"What do you think's happening out there?" I blurt out, pulling his hand from mine. Pushing the guilt away I get up and make my way over to Stiles.

"Do you hear anything?"He asks as I appear by his side. I train my ear against the concrete and try my best to focus on all the sounds. Voices enter my ears. Mrs. Martin, the examiner... "Anything?"