Chapter 6

You hadn't realized something as simple as a name could have such a great effect on you. Being greeted by Mila instead of an awkward 'Hey you' was doing wonders for your acclimation to this new environment. Maybe you were a little too thrilled it was a name that Viktor chose, but you were trying your best to ignore that, as impossible as it seemed to be. Whenever he called you Miláček, you had to suppress a shiver, it felt weirdly intimate, no one else but him ever called you by your full name.

You'd started staying later and later in the lab. You hated going back to your empty room to sit amongst the few belongings that you had. You could only read science texts for so long before you wanted to bang your head against the wall. You really had to get some good books soon, something with a story.

Another bonus of staying late at the lab was that Viktor was often there too. Whereas Jayce and Sky had social lives to attend to, Viktor seemed more content to continue his work. They had started working on something they were calling a Hexgate. It involved using the Gemstones to create magic gateways that allowed for teleportation from one gate to another. It would truly revolutionize trade, not only in Piltover but across the world. You didn't understand much of the science behind it, but you'd always listen attentively whenever Viktor would ramble excitedly about it.

Your crush on him had gotten out of control, and at the same time, you were ignoring it as best as you could. You had settled into an easy friendship over the weeks and you were not about to go ruining that. Being around him made you happy, to put it simply, you could confide in him, you could joke with him, you could stare longingly at him until he looked up and you had to pretend to be interested in something else. You were pretty sure he hadn't caught you yet, at least you were hoping so. You didn't know if it was his easy-going personality, the gentle way that he talked to you, his brilliance, or his ability to make you smile, but he had drawn you in like a moth to a flame. There was nothing you could do to stop the butterflies in your stomach whenever he gave you one of his lopsided grins.

When it was just the two of you in the lab you were able to start figuring out your magic. With privacy and a relatively open space, you figured it was as good of a place as any. It beat practicing your writing, which you had finally started getting good at so you felt like you could ease up on that a bit. That and it was very boring.

The only problem with this plan was that neither of you knew where to start. Viktor's only experiences with magic were while working on Hextech and you didn't think you had any at all, so that left you both feeling clueless. Viktor tried to talk you through how you were feeling when you used magic but nothing came out of that. It wasn't until late one day once Jayce and Sky had gone home for the evening that Viktor pulled a large stack of books out from behind his desk.

"You want me to try to move those books?" You asked. You'd been trying with small things so far, maybe magic was more of a go big or go home kind of thing.

"No," Viktor corrected, "seeing as trial and error is getting us nowhere I thought some reading, now that your skills in that department have improved, would do us some good."

You spent days pouring over those books, staying late into the night until you found you could no longer read the words spinning on the page. Your reading still wasn't perfect, you found you were much slower than Viktor, but what else were you going to do with your time?

It felt like forever before you finally found an excerpt that might be helpful. You quickly scanned the page, excitement making your brain speed along.

"Viktor," You bounded up from your chair and walked to the other side of the desk where he sat, placing the book down in front of him, "I think I found something."

He put his book down, picking up yours and reading the sentence you pointed out.

"There are few instances across time that involve mages that rely on heightened emotions to perform and control magic."