Chapter 15

You're spinning, lost in an endless sea of vibrant blue and electric buzzing. You feel weightless as if you are suspended in a cloud. You've been here before, what seems like a lifetime ago. So much has happened, so much has changed, you know so much more, yet you're still so lost.

Last time your brain was foggy as you swirled endlessly. This time it feels like your body is on fire and your mind a screaming vortex of pain.

You think you hear laughter, but looking around the only thing you can see is Viktor's last breath playing over and over again in front of your eyes. You need to fix it, though your mind is a jumbled mess and you can't think straight. You aren't even sure if this is real or if you're still in the cave, hallucinating a way to get the man you love back from death. Or had you already done that? You had absorbed the Hexcore, hadn't you? You had turned him to metal, but you couldn't tell if it worked or not. You were more confused than you had ever been, magic streaming out of you and bursting in the distance.

As you spiraled out of control, sobs wracking your body, the physical and emotional pain becoming unbearable, a large yellow light appeared in front of you. You shielded your eyes as it burned into your retinas. You were pretty sure that didn't happen last time.

From within the light stepped a humanoid figure, the brightness dimming behind them as they stood before you.

The world around you stilled as you took in the woman who'd appeared. She was stunning, ethereal, beautiful like you'd never seen before. Her long, white hair flowed down her back in a loose ponytail, bangs framing her face. Her skin was a rich purple, swirls imprinted on her arms and legs. She had a large shimmering horn in the center of her forehead, her ears pointed like those of an elf. She wore leather gloves, a golden dress with slits up the side that exposed her cloven feet. A large topaz stone was attached to her belt, a dark cape flowing from her broad shoulders pulling the ensemble together. She held a crescent-shaped spear in one hand, her glowing yellow eyes fixed on you.

You should have been afraid of her, she billowed with power, but you were more afraid of yourself and what you might do should she try to harm you.

"My child," She looked at you with a mix of sympathy and pity, "What has become of you?"

You knew that voice, the soft melody matched the one you heard in the void the first time. You wanted to ask her so many questions, demand answers, but all you could do was clutch your head as it pounded, your sobs only ceasing so you could let out an unbridled scream.

She bent down towards you, her hand outstretched, "Let me clear your mind, young one, be still."

You tried to swat her away but she grabbed your wrist, not giving you another moment to react as she moved faster than your eyes could track and tapped her spear to your forehead.

In a blinding flash of light, the noise in your head disappeared, the fire running through your veins became sluggish, and the power that was gripping you to your core lost its hold, burying itself deep in your chest. It was still there, waiting, no longer able to bend you to its will.

You took a gasping breath as you relaxed, weightless in the void.

She smiled at you, "That's much better, isn't it?'

You looked down at yourself, hoping the Shimmer would be gone. To your dismay, it remained running through you, but you were no longer glowing with its power. You were still injured, and you felt as though you should have been in a lot of pain. However, the aura radiating from the woman in front of you kept warm, like being wrapped up in a blanket in front of a toast fire on a chilly winter day. The memories that had been unearthed from your mind were tucked back in, frustratingly out of your grasp.