Chapter 10

It had finally happened, they were able to make the Hexcore. It turned out that Sky was the one to put the last piece of the puzzle together. She'd taken an elective class on runes while she was still a student at the Academy, and upon seeing what Viktor was trying to create, remembered an ancient and obscure rune her professor had showed her, one used to animate objects. It had worked perfectly. The Hexcore took shape, floating above the desk as the three scientists cheered and congratulated each other. With Progress Day coming up this was another thing they could show the world, once they figured out how to work it of course.

While they celebrated, you were stuck where you stood, staring at the Hexcore, transfixed by the massive amounts of power you felt coming off of it. It wasn't like anything you'd ever felt and you started to get dizzy from just standing close.

The white noise buzzed in your ear, warning you that you were about to be sucked in by something you couldn't control. You took two steps back, your feet feeling like led, your body screaming at you that you were going the wrong way. It was then you realized that among the white noise you could hear a voice, the same one you'd heard the first time you'd lost control, except this time it was coming from the Hexcore, almost like it was alive.

"Come closer," It whispered with a hiss, "Together we could have such power, we could stop the cruelty of this world, we could save Viktor."

You gasped, still unable to look away. You dug your fingernails into your palms, trying anything to stop yourself from touching the Hexcore. You wanted more than anything to cure Viktor, but the menacing tone behind its seductive whisper was enough to keep you from rushing at the opportunity.

"You've barely tasted the power you could wield, and already you've used it to take away his pain," It whispered again, "Imagine what you could do with real raw magic."

You flinched, the Hexcore knew too much, and the influence it had over you was too great, you could no longer take any steps back, you were rooted in the spot with only one way to go; forward.

You jumped when a slender hand touched your shoulder, a voice speaking to you, trying to bring you back, but you couldn't hear them over the white noise. You could feel yourself shake and your jaw go slack as you tried to resist the pull of the Hexcore, feeling yourself drained of energy.

Would it really hurt to just give in? You would only use the power for good, and you could finally be of use, finally save Viktor, isn't that why you were here?

Your thoughts were abruptly interrupted as a body stepped into your line of sight, blocking most of the Hexcore from your view. You could still see the light shining out from behind the person before you, the white noise dimming from your ears as you breathed raggedly.

"Come back to us, Miláček." You heard Viktor say as a box was tossed over the Hexcore, ending the last of its hold over you and snapping you back to reality. You stumbled, your legs feeling weak, blinking rapidly as you took in your surroundings. Viktor stood in front of you, concern on his features, his hand still resting on your shoulder. Sky had been the one to put the box over the Hexcore, she stood by the desk, looking at you cautiously. To your side stood Jayce, a similar expression on his face, as they all waited for you to recover.

"I'm sorry," You mumbled, avoiding eye contact, "I don't know what happened."

"Was it like what happened with the Gemstone that one time?" Sky asked, "But since it's stronger magic it caught you off guard?"

You nodded, that was a simple way of putting it, "Something like that."

"Why don't you sit down," You didn't fight as Viktor led you to a nearby stool, your legs giving out as you plopped yourself down.