Bruised Pixels

Wicked Game - Grace Carter

*Bucky's POV*

One Week after Bucky and Sam talked, they're standing in Sam's home office waiting for Sharon to contact them. Bucky sits in the desk chair in front of a computer as Sam leans on the edge, looking out the window behind Bucky.

Sam
"Everything's in place. We just have to stall her now so that she won't suspect anything."

Bucky
"She won't take kindly to being kept waiting."

Sam
"Maybe, but she'll just have to deal with it."

Bucky looks up from the corner of his eye, a hint of fear plaguing his features.
Just then, a video call request pops up in the corner of the screen. Bucky and Sam exchange a quick glance before Sam rearranges to be standing behind Bucky's chair. After a moment of hesitation, they answer the call.

Sharon
"There they are! How's it going fellas?"

Bucky
"Mind if we skip the pleasantries?"

Sharon
"Now Bucky, don't be rude."

Awkward silence stands for a minute as she waits for him to answer. With one angry breath, he avoids looking at the screen as he speaks.

Bucky
"I'm just peachy Sharon, how are you?"

Sharon
"Please, I'm just messing with you. I'll get straight to the point; where's my cargo, boys?"

Sam
"We're getting it."

Sharon
"Well I should hope so, but I was looking for something a little more specific than that."

Bucky
"We have a possible location but we're still waiting for the right connections to be sure and to get it without being noticed. It's not easy to move something that big under the radar."

Sharon
"I'll take that as a compliment, considering I did."

Sam and Bucky share a look of confusion before Sam bends down to be closer to the camera.

Sam
"No, you didn't... we stopped you, that's literally the reason we're here."

Sharon
"Touché. Fine, but I want more than that in a week. Goodnight, boys."

Before she can disconnect the call, Bucky lurches forward in his chair slightly.

Bucky
"I want to see her first."

Sharon
"Ahuh, trust me, you don't."

Bucky
"I wanna know she's okay before I do anything else for you."

Sharon
"I wouldn't say 'okay' but... fine, suit yourself! I'm patching you through to the CCTV in her room. You can't talk to each other, obviously."

Moonlight Sonata (C-Sharp Minor) - Ludwig Van Beethoven

After a few glitches in the display, the screen darkens considerably to reveal a grainy image of you, lying in the same chair you woke up to 3 weeks ago. You've lost considerable weight due to your poor nutrition and high stress levels; Sharon doesn't like to waist time by not using you as a lab rat. And when she's not, you're recovering. Meals are only twice a day not exactly worth any Michelin stars. You don't have too many injuries but the ones you do have are not shy under the the single bright light above you. A dark, shimmering bruise decorates your right cheekbone, adding to the dimension of your sunken face. Your bottom lip is cut on the same side with dried blood surrounding it. Your nostril is also circled by a ring of red, and the slight bruising under your eyes suggesting a blow to the nose at some point. As for the rest of your body, your skin is greyish and seemingly lifeless. You have a cannula fitted in one hand and a tube feeding in to your elbow crease.
Bucky sits there in silence, shock and anger pulsing through his body.

Sam
"Oh my god."

Lightly, Bucky touches the screen, tracing your figure and analysing your state.

Bucky
"What is that? What are you giving her?"

Sharon
"Well, we've given her a few things over the past few weeks. Barely any of them took, so she's trying something a little more exciting; you guys heard of extremis?"

Sam
"For God's sake Sharon, tell me you didn't!"

Sharon
"Not exactly but trust me, you'll like what I did do!"

Bucky
"What the hell is Extremis?"

His eyes haven't left your unconscious body as he struggles to take in your state.

Sharon
"Well this is the new and improved version. You'll be happy to hear that it's far less risky for the patient, and less painful- which I think deserves a thank you! She won't get all of the perks but, even I'm a bit jealous."

Without warning, the visual flips back to a smug faced Sharon, dead centre in the frame.

Sharon
"One week. Or the next thing I give her won't be as enviable."

When the display goes dark and eventually returns to the home screen, Bucky releases the breath he was holding.

Sam
"I'll make some calls. We're doing this tomorrow."

As Sam tries to leave the room, Bucky calls after him, still trying to get the image of you out of his head.

Bucky
"What's Extremis, Sam?"

Sam
"Look up Aldridge Cillian, AIM. Stark dealt with him just over a decade ago, so I don't know how this stuff is still in circulation but... Buck I'm so sorry."

Not looking at him, Bucky gets up from the desk and rushes past Sam weaving his way from room to room, to the front door.

Bucky
"Call me when you're ready."