Debrief

River - Eminem

When Bucky arrives back at the facility, they're almost finished with the surgery. Whilst he was gone for much longer than he said, he knew the surgery would go on for a few hours so he wasn't concerned about rushing back. Instead he parked the car back in the garage and walked around every floor. Twice. Even after he finished his laps, he couldn't bring himself to go back into the room. He just paced near the door until Sam came out.

Sam
"Hey, I was about to call you. They're just finishing up in there."

Bucky
"How did the surgery go?"

Sam
"Good, as far as I know. What did Sharon say?"

Bucky
"What we were expecting. She's as intolerable as ever."

Sam
"I'm sorry man."

Bucky
"We'll figure something out."

Before they can talk any further, the lead surgeon emerges from round the corner in scrubs and a hair mask, removing his face mask.

Doctor McGuigan
"Gentlemen."

Sam and Bucky stand to attention, ready for what he has to say.

Doctor McGuigan
"Surgery went well, she's being taken to recovery now."

Bucky
"So is that it? No more fire?"

Doctor McGuigan
"We won't know for sure until we do some tests."

Bucky
"Do you know when she'll be awake?"

Doctor McGuigan
"We had to up the anaesthetic because of her excelled regeneration. Even so, it should be about an hour, but she'll be groggy. Even with her advanced healing, I don't wanna push her so we should be able to run the tests in a couple days."

Bucky
"Can I see her?"

Doctor McGuigan
"You should let her rest. We'll call for you when she's coming round, so you can be there when she wakes up."

Disappointed and still nervous about not being with her, Bucky turns away with a single nod of his head.

Sam
"Thanks, doc."

Once the doctor is gone, Sam and Bucky stand in silence, both waiting for the other to say something.

Bucky
"I don't know how I'm gonna tell her. We always talked about kids like it was inevitable. Now because of all this... I have to tell her that it might not happen."

Sam
"I still don't get how they'd even police it. What are they gonna do, slip her birth control when she's not looking?"

Bucky
"I have no idea Sam but I doubt they'll take any chances."

Sam can see the obvious grimace on Bucky's face, certain of what he's insinuating.

Sam
"She's not gonna be happy that you didn't tell her for three weeks. Whatever you're gonna say, you've got an hour to figure it out."

With that, Sam turns and walks down the hallway towards the staircase.

Sam
"And Buck. I'm just a phone call away if you need anything. Either of you."

Bucky gives a grateful nod and waits for Sam to be out of view before leaning his back up against the wall, arching his head back and sliding down to a crouching position. He balances there for a second before falling back onto the floor, pulling his knees up to rest his elbows on and looking up at the boring ceiling, deep in thought.