On The Rink

It was wonderful Saturday morning in the month of December. The school had built an outdoor skating rink for students to use after school or on the weekends. For everyone's safety, you had to book a one hour session in advance. It costed 1000 private points per person. If you wanted more than an hour you would have to book in advance and also pay the amount of money according for how long you would want to stay. Two hours would be 2000 points. Three hours would be 3000 points and so on.

I, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, was waiting for my girlfriend Kei to show up. The two of us, planned to do a 1 hour session of skating. I've never gone skating before. It wasn't something that they me in the White Room. On the other hand, Kei has had experience skating and offered to teach me.

The sound of footsteps stepping on the fresh snow reached my ears. Kei appeared in front of me. She was wearing her winter gear and had two pairs of skates. I assumed that the bigger pair of skates were going to be mine. 

"Here you go! The line for rentals was pretty long. Anyways, do you know how to put these on?" Kei handed me my skates.

"Don't I put them on the way I do for sneakers?" I've never skated before in the outside world and I haven't been taught how in the White Room either. So of course I didn't how to put on skates. Hearing my response, Kei shook her head.

"It can't be helped. I'll put them on for you this one time. Watch carefully okay?"

I removed my winter boots from my feet and slipped them into the skates.  Sitting on her knees, Kei grabbed my left foot and placed it on her lap. She started to show me how to tie the laces together.

"First you pull on both strings tightly like this. Then you wrap this string around here then under here..."

Slowly, step by step, Kei tied the laces on my left foot. She didn't look up at me at all. Just focused on explaining. Looking at her made her seem like a mother who was helping  her child do something new. It suited Kei. She would be a great mother in the future if she ever decided to have kids. As I continued staring at Kei's face, she looked up at me.

"Oi Kiyotaka, I know I'm drop-dead gorgeous but you should be paying attention to my explanation because I'm not gonna say it all over again." Her eyes slightly narrowed down as she stared into my eyes. It seems like she was aware of me looking at her instead of else where I was supposed to be looking.

"Sorry, but I think I understand how to do this." I replied. To prove that I really did pay attension at one point, I tried tying the laces on my other foot. Kei watched me closely. When I finished, she nodded her head in approval. I waited for her to finish doing her own skates and then we headed over to the rink. 

Hand in hand, we stepped onto the ice. I could feel my legs slightly shake. My entire body starting moving forward without me doing anything.  We stood near the edge of the rink where there was a railing for people to hold on to. To delay the moment where I would have to learn and possibly embarrass myself, I decided to ask Kei a question.

"Did you take lessons to learn how to skate when you were younger?"

"Lessons? I never took a ice skating class before. My grandma loved skating when she was younger so she taught my mom how and later taught me as well. I kinda just had to learn it. It was tough at first, but after weeks and months of practice, it felt natural."

"I see. It probably has been awhile since you have done it now that you are attending ANHS.  Before we start, could you show me your skills?"

"Eh? Show you? I mean... sure. I'm pretty average at it."