-4- flashlight

After getting out of the car, Davie walked me to the back door labeled "maintenance hall exit B." He unlocked the door and opened it to let me in, but I hesitated.

"Are you sure this is gonna work? I mean I don't even know if it's worth it. I don't want you wasting your time or anything-" 

"Y/n. Stop worrying, you said you would let me try, so let me do just that, okay?" He cut me off and waved his hand to get me to go in. I took a heavy breath before stepping into the dark abyss of a hallway. It smelled like rubber and iron, so, not the most pleasant smell. One by one the lights down the hall turned on, revealing boxes stacked up against the walls, old posters, and a few random objects laying around. 

I step over a rubber mat as I give him a look, "Yeah, quite the "fancy" place you've got here...I mean I knew you dressed homeless but didn't know your work matched your aesthetic."

He let out a hurt gasp, "Hey now, these are just the back hallways, of course, corporate won't make these look all nice and shiny. And for your information, this isn't where I work, that's in the upper basement..." 

"Oh great, the "upper basement," I rolled my eyes.

"Why are you so sarcastic all of a sudden?" He laughed, "Seems like you're already getting comfortable." 

I scoffed as he took the lead and walked us out of the dingy hallway. A few left and right turns later, we arrived at two big doors with bold letters printed: "Parts and Service." He pushed open the door to a huge room with a cylinder workspace in the middle. There was a person in the cylinder, tall, skinny, kind of looked like one of those nerd kids you'd see in high school. He was doing some work on an orange animatronic laying on the table. The doors shut behind us and Davie waved to the man in the cylinder. He didn't wave back, nor did he notice Davie trying to get his attention. 

"So," Davie said adjusting his hat. "This is where I work, parts and service, pretty cool right? This is where I, that guy Steven over there, and a few other people work on the animatronics. Gotta keep them in working order y'know. Steven is doing some optical work on Freddy."

The guy, apparently named Steven, got up from the chair next to Freddy and opened the cylinder door. 

"Hey Davie, why are you here so late?" He walked over to a monitor and began clicking, "Aren't you off today anyway? I thought Becca was covering for you?"

"I am off, I'm not doing work right now am I? I just dropped by because I needed to help my friend here with something." Davie put his hand on my shoulder, which kinda hurt. Steven shut down the computer and took off his glasses. He glanced over at me, but I don't think he noticed the obvious face plate marks on my face somehow. 

I shifted my gaze to Freddy, who was already up and moving. He was a big guy, at least 7-8 feet tall, but to me, he looked the opposite of intimidating. 

Freddy walked up to Steven, "Thank you, my vision is working much better now. It was hard to perform when my eyes were all blurry." He turned around to return to wherever he came from when he noticed me and Davie standing there. "Oh! Davie! I didn't know you'd be here today. It's good to see you." 

Davie smiled, "Yeah you too Freddy, I was just waiting for Steven to get done with the cylinder. I need to get something done real quick, that's all."

"I see, who is your friend there?" 

"This is Y/n, we met at a robotics shop awhile back, I brought them because I was gonna help them with something." 

I put my hand up a little to try to wave, I didn't get far since it hurt.