Chapter Twenty Nine: Bursting the Bubble

"I'm not being 'Rodent,' no way, I told you I wanted to be 'Rapier'!" Fred said with a tone of disbelief that Lee could get it wrong again. 

"Oh, all right then 'Rapier,' could you please give us your take on the various stories we've been hearing about the Chief Death Eater?" Lee asks, as the two sit by the radio talking, you plonk yourself on the sofa next to George whilst he designs something for the shop when he gets back. 

"Yes, River, I can," said Fred "as our listeners will know, unless they've taken refuge at the bottom of a garden pond or somewhere similar, You-Know-Who's strategy of remaining in the shadows is creating a nice little climate of panic. Mind you, if all the alleged sightings of him are genuine, we must have a good nineteen You– Know-Whos running around the place." 

"That will make everyone feel better darling" you say rolling your eyes at Fred who blows you a kiss, also chuckling. 

"But, my lovely girlfriend is so very right" Fred adds "so, people, let's try and calm down a bit. Things are bad enough without inventing stuff as well. For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill with a single glance from his eyes. That's a basilisk, listeners. One simple test: check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do."

"Oh sweet Jesus" you put your head in your hands "and he's supposed to be the people person" you look at George, a huge smile on his face. 

"People love it, we get more listeners when he's being like this than any other time, its like word spreads he's on." 

"You not going up there, Sloth" you nudge him. 

"Careful, Popbelly" 

"Oi!" You nudge him again "I'm not that big yet" you muse as he laughs. 

"You're starting to show though, you need to keep wearing those ponchos, keeping it hidden for as long as possible." George says protectively before finishing the last of his drawing "here what do you think?" He hands you the paper. 

"It's a cot" you says warmly but confused. 

"Ah yes, but not just any old cot" he wiggles his brow, leaning over to show you the features "same spells we used with the protection cloaks, impenetrable" he says proudly. 

"You're an angel George" you hug him. "Listen, if anything were to, well. . . " 

"Y/N" George says carefully. 

"No, listen, I mean it" you look at George carefully "unless it happens before" you swallow "if anything should happen to us, I want you to, I need you to, you have to promise . . ." you start to tear up a little. 

"I promise" George kisses the top of your head lightly, in a brotherly fashion before pulling you in for a hug "I promise" he knew what you were asking and he knew he'd be there always. You mumble a thank you, earning a-squeeze from George as you both go back to listen to Lee and Fred, almost feeling like you were back at school, sneaking into the common room again. 

"Just going to make it up as we go along, are we? My favourite kind," said Fred which made you chuckle, you watch him in his element, making your heart soar. 

. . . . . . . . 

After a few weeks with Lee, you separate, this had been your MO for a while now, you met up, broadcasted a few times then spilt, making it easier for you all to stay hidden, It would likely be many weeks before you saw him again. 

"Take care Lee" you hug him, you all stood round, the chill in the air broken by the sun just a little. 

"You too! Make sure there two are at your beck and call" he jokes and the boys all share a handshake, smilier to the one that had at school.