Chapter 1. Tick tock.

Ian Glass saw his small import and export business grow into a solid enterprise with noticeable clout after taking in an older man, his son and pregnant wife. They proved to be more than staff and his generous heart soon embraced them as family.

Faolan had great ideas about distribution and possessed the overseas connections to back up his words. Not only did Kai perform his duties providing security for the household and company, many acknowledged his expertise and came to hire him for advice. Reese had served in an upscale household and lifted the living standard of the Glass women to a higher level. It attracted the admiration of families from far and wide and made the Glass household stand out in all kinds of positive ways.

But the absolute cherry on the cake was young Sebastian. Easily the most talented young man he ever had the privilege of meeting. Smart, elegant and strong. Beating his father at the age of fourteen and never lost a single match since. Kai deliberately sought out fighters and new fighting skills to keep up security while also educating his son. The proud man never blamed his son for surpassing him.

Ian always thought this an admirable trait. One he tried to emulate with his own children. So when the time came for his youngest to finish his education he aimed for the highest target. The Royal Academy. Seamus was an outstanding candidate, but the merchant was well aware that the sizeable donation and the golden reputation of his business helped greatly in the acceptance. He made some inquiries and found a way to repay his gratitude.

At the end of another successful workday he invited Kai into his study for a private conversation.

As per usual the man refused a chair and stood in front of his desk. Smacking his lips he shook his head.

"This is a father to father talk. No need to be formal."

When the man only slightly raised an eyebrow staying cemented to the floor he sighed.

"Don't be a stubborn ass, Kai. Take a seat."

Kai reluctantly pulled up a chair and sat down. Even at the age of thirty-five the sentence 'Let's have a talk' gave her cold chills.

"As you know Seamus has been accepted into the Royal Academy", Ian said, not bothering to shield the pride in his voice. "They also provide first class education for private security and guards for non-military assignments. I wouldn't have thought of it but for Seamus mentioning that Sebastian showed some interest in the possibility."

Kai remained silent feeling her shoulders freeze.

"Because I didn't want to get his hopes up I asked for a scout of the Academy to come by. He accepted him on the spot." A smirk appeared on his face. "Both of you actually. They are very interested in your skill set and would like to offer you a staff position."

After sixteen years Ian could read the blank expression on Kai's face and the multitude of emotions behind it. He stood up and poured two glasses of bourbon.

"Meeting you has been the greatest fortune in my life, Kai. I'm also well aware that this is not the place where you and especially Sebastian belong."

He reached out a glass and saw it hesitantly accepted.

"I have no intention to force you in this, but Franny brought to my attention that Reese seemed a little down lately. Mothers tend to worry about their kids, you know."

Kai nodded. Both of them decided when Sebastian was little and didn't present with a wolf not to burden him with an uncertain future. Seeing her son surpass every challenge and expectation set only put more pressure on them to find answers.

"Thank you for the opportunity. I will talk to Reese and come back to you."

Returning home she wanted to talk to her mate first, but Sebastian jumped into her arms the second she stepped in the door.

"Please, Dad. I wanted to be a guard ever since you told me about Grandpa Wren and Great Grandpa Balthazar. Please say that I can go", he pleaded passionately.

Kai ran her hands through his dirty blond hair and squeezed his cheeks.

"I want to discuss this with your mother first. Go to sleep. We will have our talk tomorrow."

After kissing him goodnight she settled in her favorite chair in front of the fire. Reese placed a pillow on the floor and leaned comfortably against Kai's legs.

"Do you have any doubts?" Reese asked looking up.

Not surprised that Reese already knew about the situation she shook her head.

"It's a great opportunity to gain new skills and maybe even some new information. I'm not worried about that."

She extended her hand to caress Reese's cheek who looked up.

"Arianna?" Reese guessed.

Kai nodded.

"That ruthless women planned her revenge for more than twenty years before finally pulling the trigger. It's hard to believe that she would give up so easily."

Reese paled.

"Do you seriously think that she might still be looking for us?"

Kai bit her lip.

"There's no way to be certain, but it's only logical to assume that she continued searching for the sword. Once she finds out its origin it won't be long before she sends scouts to Doragon. Time is running out."

Kai looked down at Reese.

"You felt it too didn't you? That's why you've been out of sorts."

Reese raised her head sporting a guilty expression.

"Did we make the right choice by not telling him? It makes my heart bleed to think of the weight on his shoulders once this whole prophecy unravels."

Kai bend down to press a kiss on trembling lips.

"We prepared our son to the best of our abilities and at the same time let him enjoy a happy childhood. I can now see that my rebellious actions had nothing to do with my knowledge about the prophecy. It always was so clear to me that I had to walk my own path. Sebastian resembles me in this way. That's why I want to support him in whatever choice he makes."

Instead of going to bed, Sebastian hid in a secluded spot silently following the conversation and waited until his mother retired for the night. He saw his father sitting in his chair by the fire and heard a deep sigh.

"How much do you know?" Kai asked realizing that her son was no longer a child, but firmly on his way to start his own story.

Sebastian settled at her feet much like his mother before him.

"Not that much actually. Only that it appears like you've been looking for an antique object and you don't seem to want to burden me with that." He stared into the fire. "Seamus told me that the Royal academy holds the largest collection of ancient books in the realm. So I thought that if I get into the academy I can help you find information on whatever it is you're searching for."

Sparkling green eyes turned to meet proud black ones.

"The Dragon Blade", Kai stated with a solid voice.

"The one from the Emperor Tian stories?" Sebastian asked with noticeable surprise. "I thought that was just a fairytale."

Kai hesitated before she spoke.

"Fairytale or not it doesn't really matter. Bad people are looking for that Blade in order to further cement the position of Empress Arianna."

"What would you do if you found the Blade first?" Sebastian asked feeling his heart beat faster seeing the resigned look on his father's face.

"It's not my destiny to wield this Blade. All I can do is protect it from those who are unworthy."

That night Sebastian went to bed with his head swimming in memories of all the stories his father told him. 'Were they really all true? Tian and his Blade fighting side by side  for justice and equality?'

He thought to dream about mighty battles and conquered armies.

Instead he dreamt of things he had no recollection of the next morning. It was the first time he couldn't remember a dream. It was also the first time he woke up with tears running down his face.