Chapter 7. Ignoring orders.

Ora, Head of staff, showed Sebastian around the officer's barracks where Prince Ryu's quarters resided.

"It's not that you're unwelcome, Sebastian, but it came as a big disappointment to discover that the General had chosen a soldier as Prince Ryu's page for the remainder of his stay. We all hoped when Haru got his transfer papers one of our more promising prospects would get a change to serve in his place."

"Great", Sebastian said mockingly shaking his head. "Should I start looking over my shoulder?"

Ora suppressed a smile. "Nothing as serious as that", he assured, "but don't expect a warm welcome."

After the initial introduction to the rest of the staff, Sebastian found that no one was particularly rude to him, they simply ignored him. Which was fine with Sebastian who knew his way around a kitchen. Added bonus was that the Prince, who was taking full advantage of the General's absence, adopted the same attitude.

For three days in a row he found the Royal dressed fed and out the door before he could serve him. Everybody knew and keenly observed his response. Without any particular motivation he went through the charade of preparing food, eating it himself and tidying the cleanest quarters he had ever seen. After the fourth day of missing Prince Ryu before he could attend to him and being stared down by Ora and the rest of the staff, he had enough.

Without consulting the situation with his parents he contacted Jeb, Captain of the Pool group, and offered his services. The man stared him down, but just like with Ora, Sebastian never wavered.

"On your head be it", Captain Jeb warned while adding him to the roster, knowing that Sebastian would face some serious clapback upon the General's return.

A week past where Sebastian, in his new position, got to observe Prince Ryu from a comfortable distance. He soon found out that the admiration all the men had was justified and unrelated to his Royal status. Even among Gold Level soldiers he stood out.

"Aren't you afraid of being punished when the General comes back?" Keto, one of his fellow crewmen asked.

"I'm taking the Prince's action as a dismissal, so what do I have to worry about?" Sebastian told him. "The work I get to do in the Pool group is far more interesting and will suit me better in preparation of joining Gold Level."

"I hear you have a special interest in a certain group", Keto said trying to hid his smile. "Especially the movements of a particular person. Seems odd seeing your unwillingness to continue in his service."

Sebastian was unflustered by the implication.

"If you want to be the best, you should learn from the best", he answered coolly.

"Is he the best?" Keto asked with raised eyebrow.

"Yes" he stated making no attempt to disguise the admiration in his voice.

People overhearing this conversation spread the news to others. At first Ora and his crew tried to stop the rumors by denying the disobedience of both men, but soon gossip spread like wildfire even reaching the delicate ears of Seamus. The boy sought out his friend at his earliest convenience running to the training fields the second his class was finished. In his haste he didn't notice somebody in his wake.

"Oh my Goddess! I can't believe the rumors are actually true", he gushed out, speed walking past the rest of the grounds men and zeroing in on his target. "What in Heavens name did you tell your parents so that they would approve this madness?" was the first thing he asked seeing Sebastian setting up for training. "Will you put down that sharp thingy and look at me?" he half yelled waving at a small sword, stomping on the ground when Sebastian ignored him.