Episode 217 Part 1

(I'm going to make up a few things because yes.)

Jr's Journal Pov:

Zero Week: 

Me and a few others were being transported into the base. It was Lackland Air Force Base, I think? When we arrived, we were assigned to Squadrons and a Flight. We then were rushed up to our dorm rooms where we will be given a bed and a wall locker (Personal Living Area or PLA) that we will take care of for the next seven and a half weeks.

We were also briefed on mealtime procedures in the Dining Facility (DFAC) and other essential ground rules that will apply throughout the duration of Basic Training.

Us trainees are given an opportunity to phone a family member to inform them of safe arrival and mailing instructions, then are searched for contraband—this is called a shakedown apparently.

 Next, us males receive their first military haircut, often called a buzz cut, where we are left essentially bald. I would be so glad that our hair would grow back. Females are instructed in the authorized hairstyling, which allows hair to be short enough to not touch the collar or in a bun.

We then undergo a urinalysis test the day after arrival. Any trainee who fails the drug test will immediately be separated from the military. A few were sent back, but I didn't know them, so I didn't care.

As the initial uniform issue is not until the following Thursday or Friday, we will be required to wear civilian clothes for at least one full day. During this period, us trainees will be referred to as a "Rainbow Flight" or simply as "Rainbows" because of the flight's bright and varied clothing.

In order to break in our new boots, we will alternate wearing sneakers and boots with their newly issued uniforms until the end of Zero Week, earning them the nickname "Sneaker Weekers" or "Baby Flights". After first clothing issue, civilian belongings and baggage will be secured and stored for the remainder of BMT. I'm glad they didn't find Golden Thomas.

Zero week lasts only until the first Sunday when we can attend the religious service of our choice. There are a wide range of religions represented at Lackland. Sunday is the "non-duty" day each week in Basic Training.

First Week:

The remainder of in-processing involves completion of paperwork, receiving vaccines and medical tests and the first physical fitness test. The first test will consist of one-minute timed pushups, one minute of sit ups and a timed 1.5-mile run. After the first physical fitness test, all of us Trainees will be put into a fitness group. If a Trainee does not meet the basic needs, he/she will be put into a remedial group that will have extra PT sessions throughout the week.

After the first physical fitness test, the MTI can issue disciplinary action in the form of typical pushups, flutter kicks and squat thrust or any other exercise that the MTI thinks is necessary as a correction for simple mistakes.

We will be expected to adhere to the rules by this time or face correction by physical exercise or go through the chain of command—beginning with the section supervisor, depending on the severity of the misconduct.

Second Week:

This is the Pre-Deployment Phase. Here we will sit down with a job counselor and are shown a list of jobs they qualify for—and that are available—and are instructed to prioritize that list in order of preference. 

The job counselors then take the preferences and the preferences of all of the other recruits in the same week of training that are in the same guaranteed aptitude area and try and work it out the best they can to give everyone the preferences they want.