Chapter 1

Home

I watched as the city buildings were replaced by trees and sugarcanes, the traffic lessened and the vehicles, too. It is the start of the month of June, almost the end of summer and we were summoned in our ancestral house in La Granja by our dear mother. I want to believe that it is because she wants us to learn how it is like to live in the province than to think that this is a punishment because of our sins and my sister's punishment because of her ill behavior back in Manila.

After all, Manila is a better place for us. Mama knows that, but she wanted us home now. Papa was left in our house in Manila since he has businesses to take care of. My elder brother, Creed Odyssey went home with us to manage the sugar mills and the sugarcane plantation.

The trees and mountains became more evident and bigger as we travel to the rural part. I have been here before but that was years ago, I was still a kid back then. Now I'm fifteen and in grade nine. The houses became smaller and smaller but the wide land ahead of us was amusing. So people here has lands, too, huh.

"May drive thru ba rito, kuya? Let's pull over and order some food first, I'm hungry now," my elder sister, Seraphine ordered our driver.

We're using our big and newest SUV that papa always use when he has meetings somewhere in the city. I was at the very back, trying to understand that this is just for a few months. And another thing, I want to see how it goes in province. People says it's nice in the province than in the city, so let me prove their words.

"Naku, wala na po yata, miss Sera. Nadaanan na po natin, nasa syudad po 'yon at malapit na po tayo sa barangay," our driver answered a bit hesitantly.

Seraphine groaned in frustration and sighed deeply. She grimaced and rolled her eyes, not minding the serene view outside of our precious SUV. Meanwhile, Creed is silently sleeping in his seat.

"We bought snacks, ate. Nasa bag ni kuya, tignan mo na lang," I said quietly.

Umirap siya at umiling lang.

"Ayoko ng mga binili ni kuya, gusto ko ng steak! Kahit sundae or lasagna na lang."

Is she serious? We're traveling to La Granja now, there's no way people in the village sell those. Not that they can't but I know the foods she mentioned are only sell in the city or malls.

Besides, we're traveling.

"How I hate province! Bakit ba naisipan ni mama na pauwiin tayo rito e bulok naman itong lugar na 'to!"

I saw our driver's disagreement with her statement but Mang Dante chose to be silent. I looked at my sister coldly and sighed in defeat. She's starting her rant, wait till we arrived and mama begin her litany, too. Ugh, I just want to turn deaf temporarily.

I was thankful when we were near the ancestral mansion. We have big areas of land in the whole province and some are on the other places. Habang ang mansion ay nasa La Granja, sa isang napaka-pribadong parte ng lupain namin at malayo sa ibang kabahayan. Malayo dahil napapalibutan kami ng aming lupain, ng gubat at ng hacienda.

Walang ibang nakakapasok at nakakalapit sa mansion o sa hacienda man lang dahil mahigpit naman ang seguridad. Kaya kahit nandito si mama at malayo sa 'min ay hindi naman kami nag-aalala. Besides, mama is a very brave woman.

The road to our mansion was a little rough and rocky, I saw the hills, the unending horizon of sugarcane plantation and the forest, the factory's tower and the city below our levitated state. The high and golden gate replenish my mood and I immediately resurfaced in my seat from leaning languidly. The gate made of metal, or bronze or even copper looks old and rustic.