Chapter 5

The next morning Lyra was curled up in the furs of her bed the warm thick blankets making a nest around her with her and Beowulf in them, Lyra's eyes were closed as she disliked the mindless staring she was sure to create, in the meditative state she had within her mind she could feel the constant strong, reassuring presence of Traveller at the back of her mind, through him she could smell the soft, sweet hay and the scent of leather and riding oil, hear the clamouring of the training yard outside, the snorts of other horses and see the stable boys attending to the tack. 

Lyra's abilities lied with warging, when it had started up she had been fearful but her Father had soothed her and sent for Lord Reed who had helped her, and Robb when he had started presenting similar talents but Lyra had connected with Traveller after having him for several months, they're bond having built until she had just slipped into his body after falling asleep in his stall one surprisingly warm afternoon. 

Pushing his thoughts gently away from her and ignoring the curious thoughts of the local birds, she reached out tentatively to Beowulf again, she had been building up their bond but didn't want to overwhelm him as he was still young, but he welcomed her eagerly and she slipped into his mind. 

Her entire world point shifted, and she glanced down and saw midnight black paws inlaid with grey, an excited yip escaped her muzzle, with Beowulf's memories and eager run through they managed to balance themselves, with Lyra in the front playing the rider while Beowulf was side saddled, acting as the subconscious, guiding her with instincts.

It felt completely natural.

Lyra had a sudden deep understanding and the bond between herself and Beowulf clicked into place, she stood confidently on her four paws, tail wiggling and ears twitching, revelling in senses so similar to Traveller but oh so different, she span and saw herself, sat tailor style on the bed, arms hanging loosely over her knees, her face was relaxed and serene, she could scent the smell of honeysuckle and winter roses, she pawed slightly at the air it was odd seeing herself so she moved over to the edge of the bed and leapt lightly down to get accustomed to moving in this new body, she played in the body happily Beowulf egging her own until she was sat on her haunches, sides panting with exertion and tongue lolling out over her lower pointed teeth.

Eventually, a knock came out the door and Lyra left Beowulf's mind, but there was still an echo of his mind in hers, neatly organised next to Traveller's. Lyra bid for the maid to enter and she rose and prepared for the day to come, having her hair braided with two blue ribbons and donning riding attire. She spotted Bran with their siblings when she headed to the maester to be excused for lessons for the day, Lyra had to focus on entertaining guests after all...and perhaps she'd get to spend some time with Bronn...Once she was excused she hurried off looking forward to having a hot meal.

She came down to the head table, enjoying that the great hall had been set back to rights with the banners hung out unencumbered, greeting the royals with the King sat in the head chair, before greeting her father and mother sat to his left, and she took her seat at the high table next to Robb, across from Bronn and Tyrion who were both tucking into their breakfast, while they both greeted her politely, but Bronn winked brazenly at her and Lyra lightly choked on her juice avoiding his gaze while her cheeks burnt. 

Bronn didn't give a damn about the glares he was receiving, after the scolding he had given to the other bastard he had retreated to his room and began to scheme for Lyra, the first order of business was to show her he was interested and that his attentions were romantic, second was to elevate his status and get the attention of her Lord Father and show off his capabilities to take care of Ned's precious firstborn daughter and to get himself a title and keep and third order of business was to marry her. A tall order but Bronn had always risen to the challenge, which is why he was still breathing after all.