1

Pine needles and twigs crunch under the thoroughbred's hooves as it ambles along the worn path. Golden rays of sunlight filter through the tree branches and made Rorschach patterns across the forest's uneven floor. In all directions, finches and sparrows chirp and squeak their unending song.

Horseback riding is the perfect way for Zoe Thornton to unwind from a long day of lectures, note taking and professors who like to hear themselves talk. The gentle sway of Rhymes pace is cheaper and more relaxing than a massage therapist, easing the tension from her neck and shoulders.

Rhyme, the retired show horse was a gift from Zoe's parents on her seventeenth birthday. The chestnut sported a white blaze on her forehead, thinning as it traveled to her muzzle. She is a beauty and won many trophies for her good manners and ability to intuit what her rider wanted from her.

Zoe took a deep breath of the spring mountain air. The scent of pine and wildflowers cleared her lungs and mind.

"Based on that dopey grin, I'd say you're thinking about a certain redhead," Takota Sohappy's gritty voice abruptly ended her solitude.

Startled, Zoe jerked in her saddle. She laughed at herself, it felt as good as the ride and brought a genuine smile to her face. How Takota always managed to sneak up on her, even on horseback, was impressive given his tendency to trip over his own feet. Not to mention his bad luck. He lost his keys, wallet or sunglasses daily, and has broken more things than Zoe cared to list. Like the car door of his Volkswagen Rabbit, when he closed it "gently" and it fell off—shattering his big toe in the process.

Takota and Willow, his gold palomino, pulled alongside them and matched their pace.

An image of the redhead and her perfectly sculpted, tan legs flooded Zoe's head. She smacked Takota's shoulder. "Shut up. Not everyone walks around with the weight of unrequited love on their shoulders. Besides, I haven't asked her out, yet."

"Oh." His thick, black eyebrows shot up his forehead. "So, you're actually going to do the deed?"

She shrugged, trying to remove her own indecision. "Yeah, maybe."

Takota's lopsided grin was brilliant against his dusky skin. "Lies, you'll never ask her."

"I said, maybe."

"When?"

Zoe's mind changed pace as white flashed from a nearby moss covered log. "Look, Takota, a Limenitis lorquini Burrisonii. I've been told they live out here, but I haven't been lucky enough to see one before."

"You are such a bug nerd. And why I'm your only friend." Takota laughed.

"Whatever." Zoe hopped down from Rhyme to get a better view of the rare beauty. "And it's entomologist, future one anyway, not bug nerd."

Black lines webbed across the wings and wrapped around its edges. Dusty copper and pearlescent white filled the gaps, like stained-glass. Zoe pulled out her phone and snapped several pictures. "Did you know that butterfly wings are transparent?"

"Oh, Jesus. Here we go."

Takota might moan and complain about her fascination with insects, but Zoe knew he was interested in what she said. If not, she wouldn't have caught him telling other people about the things she informed him of.

"Tiny scales--thousands of them--make up their four wings. The colors we see are a reflection of light bouncing off them."

The Burrisonii seemed to like the attention. It flattened its wings and posed for more pictures. Zoe obliged, turning the phone sideways and tapped the shutter button several times.

"I figured you'd be lost in your little creepy-crawly world, so I came out to find you. It's nearly five thirty and Mrs. T will have dinner ready soon." Takota was right. The Thornton's stuck to a daily schedule like a jockey to his horse.

"Really?" She glanced at the phone to confirm. Five twenty-eight. The ride home would take at least twenty minutes, and then she had to brush Rhyme down as well as feed and water her. She sighed. "Goodbye, Mr. Burrisonii ."

The butterfly lifted skyward as Zoe stood. She watched it fly away and disappear behind some pine branches.

As she turned, a black tree in the distance stood out against the lush, green leaves and ferns that surrounded it. Zoe didn't recall seeing the massive hemlock before, and she'd ridden through here many times since moving to Rimrock over fifteen years ago.

Rhyme nickered. With her front hoof, she stamped the ground, saying it was time to leave.

Zoe ignored the opinionated thoroughbred, and climbed up the small incline, through the thick vegetation to inspect the tree.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Give me a minute," she shouted over her shoulder.

The forest grew still as a graveyard. The leaves no longer fluttered in the light breeze and the bird's melody faded from existence.

The hemlock was too broad to wrap her arms around, and she couldn't see the top from her vantage point. It bore no leaves on its hundreds of branches. They reminded her of human arms, twisted and crooked in unnatural ways. There was no bark and the wood looked burned, as if it had been in a terrible fire.

Zoe rubbed its knotted and uneven surface. She expected soot to blacken her fingers, but to her surprise, her palm remained unmarked and pale. She circled its girth, looking for seeping, insect holes or some other explanation for its wrecked state. Not finding anything, she took a picture.

"Don't tell me you're going to start adding widow makers to your album. We'll be out here forever." Takota's voice carried over the distance, echoing like he was far across a valley instead of seventy feet away.

"No, no, just this one. It's different." Her voice sounded distorted.

The hairs on Zoe's neck pricked up like she was being observed, hunted. Her pulse quickened, rocking her with the rapid tempo. She stood as still as possible and scanned the area for a bear or mountain lion.

Rhyme whinnied and stomped louder this time.

Other than Takota and the horses, there wasn't anything around. But Zoe couldn't shake the uneasy feeling, warning her that she was in mortal danger.

Zoe took a step and felt something snapped at her heels, demanding she run, run fast, and not come back. She flew down the incline, unable to get back in the saddle soon enough.

Takota's eyebrows drew together. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just a weird vibe. Let's go!" Zoe turned Rhyme around and the quartet galloped home.