15

Zoe followed her parents and hospital staff into the hallway and watched them head out to the waiting helicopter. Her heart squeezed in her chest, reminding her that she had things to do. 

Zoe gave Rebecca a weak smile when she approached. She'd all but forgotten about her date and how happy she was less than an hour ago. 

"What is happening with your dad?" 

"They're taking him to Seattle for surgery." 

Rebecca wrapped Zoe in her arms. The comfort she found there made her relax into the embrace. "I'm sorry, Zoe." 

She took a deep breath and said, "Dad was scheduled for surgery in a few weeks, but they think it would be best to do it now instead of wait." 

"Did they say why?" 

"His lung collapsed," her voice cracked, and tears ran down her cheeks. 

Rebecca wiped the moist trails from her face. "Let me take you home." 

Zoe's phone buzzed against her hip. "Sorry, I need to check this." She pulled the device from her pocket. 

'Z, where are you? Grandma says something happened. What is going on?' 

Her hands shook. How could Takota know about her dad unless he really is being told things by spirits? It didn't make sense, but she decided that it didn't matter right now. What did matter is that they confront Ste ye hah. That meant it was time to go back to Culver Ridge and do the ritual as soon as possible. 

'Ghost Grandma is right. Meet me at my place in twenty minutes with the stuff for the ritual.' 

He replied with a thumb's up emoji. 

Zoe hated to end her date in such a bad way, but she wasn't going to scare Rebecca off with the truth about Ste ye hah. "I'm sorry but I need to call it a night. Mom asked me to take care of a few things for her. I can drop you off at your place or the museum if you'd like." 

Rebecca took Zoe's hand and headed for the exit. "I'm bummed we had such a short date, but I hope it will be the first of many." 

"Me too."

****

Takota ran up to the Jetta as she pulled into the driveway. He looked as worried as she felt with his wide eyes and frown. 

"Takota, I..." the words caught in her throat. 

"He, okay?" 

"No." She shrugged and locked her car door to keep from looking him in the eye. 

He wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug. 

Zoe clung to him and let the tears flow freely. 

His chin rested on the top of her head and his chest rumbled against her as he spoke. "We do this ritual and Ste ye hah will go back to doing whatever he was doing before we bothered him. And your dad will make a full recovery." 

"You sure?" 

"Grandma isn't talking to me right now, she's busy getting help. But Mr. T is strong and should pull through." 

"What kind of help?" 

"I don't know what she meant, but I trust she will show up when the time is right. She always does." 

"Alright." She pulled back from his embrace and dried her face with the sleeve of her jacket. 

"I think I can cast the circle, but I scribbled notes on my hands if I need them." He showed her the blue squiggles on his palms. 

Zoe had no idea how he could make her smile even in times like this, but he did. "I'm sure you'll do fine." 

"I hope so." He smiled. "I brought the crystal, feather and berries for the ritual but not the rest." 

"Mom has a wooden bowl in the hutch and there is bottled water in the fridge." 

"Let's grab them and go. No time to waste." 

Zoe hobbled towards the door with her keys jangling in her hand. "I would suggest we take the horses, so we can get there faster. But Ste ye hah might harm one of them, so...." 

"We walk. Or limp in your case." 

She stuck her tongue out and earned a throaty chuckle from him. 

They collected the items and exited through the back door. She glanced over her shoulder at the house and wondered if doing this would keep her dad safe from Ste ye hah's wrath or if it was a waste of time.