13

Zoe ran the brush through her long, dark hair and told her reflection in the bathroom mirror, "Once I see Rebecca, I'm not thinking about Ste ye hah, Takota, or that stupid ritual. Once I see Rebecca, I'm not thinking about Ste ye hah...." 

Takota sent her more messages today than he did in a whole month. Each text was manic in its Caps Lock excitement and overuse of exclamation points. 

'Z, I FEEL SO GOOD NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT ME!!!!' 

'I HAVE A CRYSTAL AND AN EAGLE FEATHER; YOU NEED TO BRING THE WATER AND BOWL!!!' 

'GRANDMA KEEPS TELLING ME WE NEED TO MAKE AMENDS WITH STE YE HAH TONIGHT!!!!' 

Zoe responded to that one with, 'NO!!! I'm going out with REBECCA, so Ste ye hah can wait for another day!!!' 

Around the hundredth text, Takota agreed she could go on the date but that the ritual needed to be done sooner rather than later. She didn't think it would work since she didn't believe Ste ye hah was real. Whatever she saw Tuesday must be explainable beyond a legend that the Shaman told them. If only Price could speed up the DNA testing process and give her some real answers. 

"...Takota or that stupid ritual." She finished the mantra and lifted her hand to knock on Rebecca's front door. Her whole-body trembled from excitement. 

The red door burst open before her knuckles met the wooden surface. 

A punk-rock angel stood in the door's frame. The white dress flowed to the ground behind her with the front climbing above her knees. Her red hair spiked from her head like a crown of fire. Rebecca's ensemble wouldn't be complete without her paint splotched combat boots and red shawl. 

Rebecca smiled as they gazed into eachothers eyes. "Well?" 

"I'm sorry, what?" Zoe could feel her face heat up. 

"I asked if you are ready to go?" 

"Yeah. Um, you look amazing." 

"Thanks." Rebecca hooked her arm through Zoe's, and they headed down the path to the car. "Are you wearing mascara?" 

Zoe never bothered with makeup because it made her face itch and later break out with pimples. Tonight, was different. She wanted to highlight her best facial features with mascara, eyeshadow and pink tinted, cherry ChapStick that kept her lips soft and supple. 

"Uh, yeah. Does it look bad?" 

She shook her head. "I just haven't seen it on you before. Pretty." 

Zoe opened the Jetta's door for Rebecca. The ride went by quickly as they talked about classes and recent things they are working on. 

Rimrock Museum is a two-story structure with concrete curves and round glass windows. It reminded Zoe of the buildings on the Flintstones right down to its circular shape. Zoe visited the Museum once when she was young, but it didn't interest her because she didn't find any insects on display. 

A gentle thrum of splashing water came from the clear liquid spouting out of a red and green metal salmon into the pond under it. Along the walkway stood alternating firethorn bushes and summer snowflake viburnums. 

Cool air inside the museum caused Zoe's skin to prickle along her arms and neck. The smell of paper, acrylic and acetone colored the air with its unique scent. 

"Beka!" A blonde girl strolled over with a few of her friends in tow. They rubbed their hands together and chattered like a group of Katydids. 

"Hi Maddy! I didn't think you were coming tonight."