"Mamá, I'm fine!"

(1646 words) I'm gonna see how well this is received, I have more chapters lined up, but I want to see the response first. Enjoy,

!TW's for the entire book!// self-harm/suicide attempt/ suicidal thoughts/ yelling/vomiting/blood/ graphic depictions of self harm/ 

Her hands carefully stitched the pattern into the fabric, finishing up on her design ever so carefully. Her hobbies filled up her wasted time, clearing her mind of pesky thoughts that flooded her when silence filled the air.

"Mira, Dinner!"

she heard her mamá call, she set down the project and dusted herself off, bracing herself to face her Familia. She sat down next to her parents, looking around at everyone else who seemed to have been waiting. She felt guilty for making her family wait, she fiddled with her skirt anxiously, waiting for Abuela to stop talking.

Everyone chatted as they ate, about the day and the town. Mirabel listened quietly, playing with the food on her plate. She found it hard to not want to run off and finish working, besides, it was less stress-inducing.

Julieta noticed Mirabel's spaced-out face, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, Mirabel was usually bright, her face was always beaming listening to her family's stories.

After dinner, Julieta asked Mirabel to help clean up, deciding that was a perfect way to talk to her daughter.

"Mira?" she asked setting her hand on Mirabel's shoulder, Mirabel was spaced out holding a pile of dishes.

"Oh, yes mamá?" she replied her eyes shooting up to into her eyes,

"You doing okay mi amor?"

"of course, Mami, I'm fine" she gave a soft smile, setting the dishes down.

"I just- don't want you to overwork yourself, amor," she said brushing Mirabel's curls out of her face. "And you seem distant lately,"

"I'm just tired mamá, don't worry!" she smiled warmly.

"Just promise you'll come to me or your father if something is bothering you, mi Vida," she said peppering her face with kisses

"I will Mami, I will," she said giggling at her mom's kisses.

"Make sure to get some sleep!" her mother called after her, as she made her way back to the nursery.

she rubbed her eyes, sighing shutting the door softly. she muttered softly as she stared at her embroidery, casita opened a drawer softly, showing her thread and needles that rested inside.

"Thanks, casita," she smiled softly grabbing her items.

her hands steadily threaded through the cloth; her mind focused on everything but what she was doing. She exhaled in frustration, gasping softly at the needle that pierced her finger.

she brought her finger up to her face focusing on the prick. Small beads of blood spilled from the tip of her finger; her mind silenced as she focused on the crimson liquid.

She heard a soft knock on the door, she quickly wiped the blood away,

"sí?" she answered

"Just wanted to say goodnight hija," her father said opening the door

"Goodnight Papi" she replied giving him a quick hug,

"Night, Mira" he smiled as he closed the door.

A soft exhale escaped her lips as she threw herself into her bed, her pa never came to her room to say goodnight. She appreciated it, but that meant her mom said something, she tried not to think about it rolling over.