"It's finally feeling normal again.."

(1,101 words)

Well this past while, hasn't been what I had expected it to have been. I didn't have any intention of my parents finding out, it just kinda happened, which I blame casita for. 

But I feel like things are finally going back to normal, there is the odd glance from Ma or Dolores, but even that has faded away. It's just as it should be anyway, left in the background. 

Luisa has been struggling, so mamas and papa's attention has shifted to her, for a good reason. It's good that Luisa is getting help, she deserves every bit of it. 

It's nice, not having people constantly worry about you. Even if I have fallen back into bad habits, It feels wrong to stop now. so why bother with anything.

It's kind of, like- I don't know. I don't really wanna live, but I don't wanna die, but if I was put in the face of danger. I would just accept it, and let whatever happens, happen... 

Her pencil trailed off, before ending it off with her emotion of the day: Numbness. She began doodling along the edges, dark imagery flowing from her mind onto the page. 

"Sí?" she called, it was most likely her mom asking for help. she sighed, closing the book left hastily on the bed.

"Sí mami?" she asked entering the kitchen, "Ay perfecta, can you bring this basket to the cart?" Julieta asked.

"sure," Mirabel replied lifting the heavy basket carrying it outside, placing it down. "must be for town," she concluded, although she wasn't informed anything was happening today. 

"Need help with anything else?" Mirabel asked re-entering the kitchen "I don't think so, thank you, Mira." Julieta replied, wiping off her hands. Mirabel waved, as she headed back to the nursery. She shut the door softly behind her, exhaling deeply.

"I'm fine, casita," she said acknowledging the homes' tapping on her foot. Her eyes landed on her bed, it lay empty, it was just how she left it. But her book was gone, her journal, why would someone take it.....

"fuck."

She paced the room softly, panic rising in her chest, she didn't even have a first clue as to who would have taken it.

"what if they read it already" she muttered anxiously. "ooooh what do I do." she took a deep breath, returning air to her lungs.

"Dinners ready!" Julieta called, 

"Double fuck."

She quickly fixed up her appearance, wiping away watery eyes, and clearing her throat.

"coming!"

"Mirabel? are you alright you look pale," Julieta asked, "I'm fine mami, I'm fine," she replied quickly sitting down. 

she tapped her foot softly, only a glance from Dolores made her stop.

"I'll clean up!" She volunteered, Dolores stepped into the kitchen watching Mirabel clean up. 

"Mirabel?" 

She jumped, nearly dropping a plate,

"I'm sorry- I'm sorry!" Dolores quickly apologized for scaring her cousin. 

"It's alright," Mirabel brushed it off, regaining her composure quickly.

"are you alright? you seem anxious about something" she asked calmly, "I'm fine Dolores, just busy." Mira replied, finishing up.

"Are you sure? cause at dinner-" 

"Sorry I have to go, I'll talk to you later!" She exclaimed running off, she was so screwed, if they read what was inside that book, all of her deepest secrets would be let out. Crumbling that wall she was so desperate to keep. Everything was just starting to feel normal again, of course something had to go wrong. 

"casita?" She asked closing the nursery door, the tiles immediately tapped in front of her feet. "Is there anyway you can get the book back?" she asked desperately, the tiles only seemed to shake in a disappointing no. 

She breathed in deeply, swallowing the lump that started forming in her throat. 

'I'm sure everything will be fine,' she thought. She would just have to ask around for the book she was "reading" yeah, that's what she'll do. 

"hola mama," she greeted entering her moms room, "How can I help you Mirabel?" Julieta asked, looking up from her book. Her heart sped up, quickly letting out a soft exhale at the different book cover from hers. "Have you seen my novel anywhere? Its a book with a teal blue cover," Mirabel asked, fiddling with her sweaty fingers. 

"No, no I haven't seen it, ask Dolores she might have heard something." she shrugged returning her attention to her book,

she tapped her chin softly, scurrying off to see Dolores,

"Dolores have you seen my book? the covers teal," she asked "No, I don't think I have," Dolores replied.

"Okay, thank you," Mirabel quickly walked away, looking for the next person to ask.

"ah!" she exclaimed,

"Tia!" Mirabel called, stopping pepa from walking away from her further, Antonio held tightly in her arms.

"Hola tonito," she greeted,

"How can I help you sobrina?" pepa asked, regaining Miras focus. 

"Have you seen my novel? The covers teal, and I've seem to have misplaced it." She asked, smiling slightly.

"teal cover, hm, Ah!" pepa exclaimed, "I saw your tio, Félix with it, when he was giving me antonio. He said he got it from your room, wanted to see what type of book it was." Pepa stated carelessly, smiling.

Mirabels deminor wilted, but she pulled her calm face back up and thanked Pepa.

She hurried off to her Tio, hoping to find him in Pepas room. 

"Tio!" she knocked, when no reply was met she twisted the door nob carefully. Anxiously opening the door.

Her tios back was facing her, and he seemed slightly hunched over. 

"Tio Félix?" she asked, her worry crawling up her spine, "are you okay?" she stepped closer. Felix slowly turned to face her, her eyes fell apon the open book in his hands, her doodles and scribbled words evidently written on the page. 

She looked up to his face, his mouth was ajar, tears pooling in his eyes. His face looked so utterly broken, as if his whole world had just shattered.

"T-Tio, I- I can explain!" she stuttered, trembling slightly. 

"I-it's not what it looks like- I swear-" she started rambling out excuses, her tios hand lifted gesturing for her to stop.

She closed her mouth, as tears slipped down her cheeks involuntarily. 

Suddenly she was pulled into a hug, strong arms wrapping around her. She was frozen, she didn't know what to do- 

Mirabel pulled back, quickly grabbing the book out of his hands, holding it close to her chest.

"I-it's just a story- y'know, It's nothing tio," she mumbled, "Just leave me alone." She muttered, turning to leave her Tia's room, wiping away her tears quickly. 

Félix was left standing in the dim room, shell-shocked, a tear slipping down his cheek. Wondering what he was supposed to do now......

(Chpt 8 coming soon.)