'Shaking away their worry'

(1015 words)

She spent more time out of her room recently, and as exhausting as it was, she still pushed through the week. Tasks were to be finished and help was needed, she did everything she could, helped her mamá set up her healing station.

Offering to help her pá chop wood, making him avoid getting stung. She was always happy to help, or maybe it was just a good way to rid her family's worry.

"Hmm," her face twisted in confusion, Luisa was carrying everything for the town, little tasks that were not needed but exploited from her sister. Isabella smiling and growing a lovely arrangement of flowers, pink and purple hues blooming from the walls. Her smile every so slightly twinging at the word "perfecta"

They both looked tired and overworked, emotionally and physically.

"Luisa!" she called running over to her Hermana,

"Sí?" Luisa asked, continuing to put donkeys into their pen.

"Here, talk to you later!" she beamed, shoving a note into her hand, running off.

She stood outside of Isabella's door, shifting on her feet anxiously. she cracked open the door, sliding the paper along the petals that laced the floor.

quickly leaving before she was noticed, then it was off to the kitchen.

"I'm sure she won't mind if I steal some food," she mumbled to herself, making food from her mom's supplies.

"Mhm, perfecta!" she said grabbing a basket and off she went.

"Okay, I think that's everything," she hummed, taking a step back to admire her work.

Layed out before her, was their old hangout spot in the forest, a beautiful clearing in the Encanto. A blanket laid out in the center, food sitting upon it in a decorative fashion. some pillows strewn around, she sat down making herself comfy.

she smiled, excited for her Hermana's to see. Hoping Isabella wouldn't be annoyed, and Luisa wouldn't be too busy to sit. She stared longingly at the path here, imagining their surprised faces.

Her face held her smile as she waited, the sun started setting through the trees. A warm orange grazing over the grass. Her eyes sparkled with water, smiling a painful smile looking up into the sky as minutes passed. 'Any second now,' seconds turned to minutes, minutes to hours.

Her smile broke, disappointment emanating off her, tears trailing down her cold face. her heart shattered into a million pieces, breaking at every waiting moment.

Sobs escaped her lips, her tears drying on her face as a tired sleep overtook her body, not caring about trying to get back home so late.

-----

"what's this?" Isabella asked no one in particular, she unfolded the paper, the note decorated in an assortment of her favorite flowers.

she mumbled out the words she read, her face saddening as she read on.

'Make sure Luisa comes too.'

signed Mirabel, she looked up at the sky, it was way past dark now, she needed to talk to Luisa.

"Luisa!" she knocked, "hello?"

"Sorry, what do you need?" Luisa asked rubbing her eyes, "Did you get a note from Mira too?" she asked her fingers tracing the edges of it. "Si, I never really got a chance to read it, now that I think of it."

"Mirabel wanted to meet us hours ago..."

"What?" Luisa asked

"You don't think she's still waiting, do you?" Isa spoke, guilt gripping at her heart.

"She is," Dolores replied scaring Isabella, quickly walking away. Mirabel was still waiting, and Dolores could hear her hushed sobs from where she lay. She was glad to see Luisa and Isabella leave to find their sister.

"Come on," Luisa said pulling her arm.

Isabella was surprised to see decorations leading them to their old spot, her heartbreaking at the effort her Hermana put in, and they didn't even show.

they gasped at the sight of Mirabel passed out surrounded by pillows, food set out perfectly beside her, and burnt-out candles nearby.

They felt awful, they were horrible sisters.

Isa didn't always treat her the best but that didn't mean she didn't love her or want to spend time with her, Abuela's expectations to be perfect prevented her from spending time with anyone.

Luisa was too busy to ever hang out with her, she didn't even read the note she gave her.

They sat down beside her, shaking her lightly.

Mirabel shot up a panicked look in her eyes, relaxing when she recognized her Hermana's.

"Mira, we're so sorry, we didn't mean to miss your plans, we we're busy-" Isabella and Luisa started profusely apologizing before she cut them off.

"It's okay, I should've verbally asked you, I just thought a note would be easier," Mirabel smiled

"I was just trying to help give you guys a break; you're overworked too much"

Both sisters "awed" at her thoughtfulness.

"there's no reason this night should end!" Luisa smiled lighting some candles, Mirabel's face lit up in pure excitement, grabbing food

"It may be cold, but I made some food!" she stated holding the plate up to them, they grabbed some smiling brightly.

"Pppsh- stop," Isabella laughed, "I mean it, you're not appreciated as much as you both should be," Mirabel stated laying with her sisters.

"I think someone's tiredness is speaking for her," Luisa teased.

"Maybe, but it came from somewhere did it not?" Mira replied hugging her pillow tighter.

"Enough about how we've been, how have you been Mira?" Luisa asked, turning to face her. She could almost see Mirabel's face fall sad, in the dim candle lighting.

"I've been good, y'know the usual, nothing exciting." she played it off, "Mama Has been worried about you Mirabel, is something going on?" Isa asked worry playing on her words.

"I'm fine, I've just been tired lately, not getting enough sleep." she shrugged, her walls building higher before her.

"Well, we're certainly not helping your sleep schedule then," Luisa started looking up to the starry sky.

"Nope," Mira giggled.

"We should head back, hm?" Isa said helping clean up what they could carry.

"Fine-" Mirabel complained, "We should do this again though"

they all nodded in agreement, walking back home together a little bit of weight lifted from their shoulders.

----