'Siblings worry'

(762 words)

"Has anyone seen Mirabel? I wanted her help." Julieta asked, everyone, shook their heads, "Dolores? have you heard where Mirabel is?" she asked, "she sounds like she's in the woods" Dolores answered, following Julieta.

"Mira!" Julieta called, "where is she?"

"There! it sounds like she hurt herself!" Dolores ushered, pointing.

"Mirabel!" Julieta left in that direction reaching Mirabel, once Dolores knew Mirabel was okay, she went back to the town, not wanting to upset abuela.

"what's up with Mira?" Luisa asked Isabella trailing behind her, "she fell but Julieta's helping her" Dolores replied.

"Why was she in the forest?" Isabella asked, "your guess is as good as mine" she shrugged.

Isabella and Luisa's faces contorted in confusion but left it at that.

Later, everyone was ready for dinner, Mirabel had yet to show up, however.

"Where is Mirabel?" abuela asked, "I'll get her abuela" Isabella offered.

"Thank you, Isa," abuela smiled.

"Mirabel!" Isabella knocked, "Mirabel!!"

"One second!" she heard Mirabel reply, as sounds of stumbling and crashing came from the other side of the door. Mirabel opened the door and smiled slightly.

"Took you long enough! come on everyone's waiting." Isabella rolled her eyes.

She swore she saw some spots of red on Mira's' dress but ignored it assuming it was just part of the embroidered design that she mistook.

Mirabel awkwardly sat down, "now, that everyone is here. let's begin," Abuela said glancing at Mirabel. She sunk in her seat, uncomfortable in everyone's stares.

She quickly ate her food, healing the pain itching from her legs. Everyone moved on and began the usual talking,

"Mirabel, I am very disappointed in you," abuela said startling Mirabel "you distracted several people from their chores today." abuela said sharply

"I'm sorry abuela-"

"Enough! I'm tired of your excuses to hurt this family!" abuela seethed "you are causing nothing but trouble!"

"mamá!" Julieta exclaimed, "I am correcting her on her behavior!" abuela countered, Mirabel softly got up unnoticed as the adults yelled.

"You are too hard on her mamá!" she heard her mom yell, arguing with abuela.

she tried blocking out the noise in her room, covering her ears with pillows.

every word abuela yelled sunk deep into her core, she felt comforted by her má and pá's defending. but she knew deep down that what abuela said was true.

the casita grew quiet hours later, everyone heading to bed, she slipped on her shoes knocking softly on Dolores's door, which opened almost immediately,

"Hola Mira," she said smiling sadly, "this is for you, I made it myself!" Mirabel said softly, she handed Dolores a piece of embroidered fabric, rounded into a frame. It was filled with colors and items that represented her and the Familia.

"I remembered that you said you'd like to have a piece that was filled with things about the madrigals," Mirabel said shyly, Dolores's face lit up as she inspected the gift. "it's beautiful Mirabel, thank you" Dolores smiled, pulling her into a hug.

"Are you okay? How is your leg? I'm sorry they-"

"I'm okay," Mirabel reassured her, "I'm okay- goodnight" she whispered.

Dolores said her goodnights, and Mirabel left for Isa's room, having an apology gift for earlier.

"Isa?" Mirabel knocked, opening the door. "I wanted to say sorry for bumping into you earlier, and I made you this."

Isabella came down from her bed, greeting Mirabel at the door.

Mirabel handed Isabella the bracelet, consisting of her color palette matching her dress perfectly. Isa felt her smile grow wider, at the beautiful bracelet slipping onto her wrist. "Thank you, Mirabel, apology accepted" Mirabel sighed in relief before being pulled into a tight hug. "Now go, before abuela sees you here" Isabella shooed her out of her room, Mirabel's face dropped once Isabella's door closed behind her.

she sat down on her bed, tired.

maybe she really was a disappointment,

maybe she was a burden

she let the family down,

she tried to stay out of their way but only made it worse.

She desperately tried to calm her mind, filled with anxiety and self-deprecating thoughts.

I'm tired.

you're a burden,

why am I here?

I would be better off gone.

she felt the last thought linger in her mind, softly tugging on her heart, it felt like a dagger plunged through her chest.

she gripped her scissors, dragging the sharp side against her leg, drawing blood.

She shivered as she continued, the thoughts swarmed her head anyways, not quieting down this time.

she clutched her head as it pounded, she wanted to scream calling for help, anything, but she refused.

she bit her lip, 'I would be better off gone' she mouthed.