Chapter Two ~ You Never Cared

Tw: Abuse, Past Abuse Mention
~
3 Days Later

"Greetings my child."

Espresso looked up from bowing down to the tall figure in front of him, Dark Enchantress cookie.

"Ah- Good morning master." he stuttered a reply, nervously shifting on his feet.

Why had she called him here so suddenly? Was he being punished?
These negative thoughts only made him all the more panicky.

"Stand up properly." She snapped.

Espresso flinched and straightened his back.
"Apologies."

She suddenly took a step forward, making Espresso flinch even harder. Dark Enchantress paused, staring at him with a cold blank face.
His blood ran cold. She had always warned him to stop flinching at sudden movements all the time, for it showed his weakness. The mage struggled to prevent them though since they were pretty much a reflex.

His breathing picked up as Dark Enchantress narrowed her eyes. Too many horrible memories flooding back to him from the familiar look on her face. The sudden image of her raising her hand, yelling, while he sobbed, begging for the pain to stop—

Oh god Espresso don't have a fucking panic attack right in front of her. Keep it together you idiot.

"Your sister informs me you are getting stronger."

Espresso relaxed a little, looking up to her uncertainty.

"But."

God. There's always a but.

"She also informed me of your reckless use of your magic." Venom laced her voice, making goosebumps erupt all down his arms and the hair on the back of his neck stick up.

Espresso bowed his head in shame, "I am shameful of my actions, it won't happen again I promise."

Dark Enchantress crossed her arms, "You're forbidden from leaving your room for the rest of the week as punishment."

The mage's eyes widened, shooting her a panicked look.
"What? No please, I promise it won't happen agai—"

Suddenly, his right cheek stung with a cold pain, spreading throughout his face like electricity. It took him a few seconds to process the feeling of Dark Enchantress's cold hand contacting with his cheek for a few brief moments. He reached up to clutch his burning cheek, tears clinging to his eyelashes.

Don't cry. Take it. For God's sake Espresso don't you dare cry.

"You dare speak back to me, boy?" she snarled.

Espresso let out a shaky breath.

"I'm sorry." he whispered, barely audible.

"Leave." She muttered.

And Espresso did just that.

~

The mage hugged his knees to his chest, sitting curled up on his bed. He desperately did not want to start crying in front of anyone, especially not his mother— No. Dark Enchantress. She doesn't deserve the title of mother.

Silent tears spilled down his cheeks, fogging up his glasses as he let out shaky sobs. He hugged himself, burying his face into his knees causing his glasses to fall off of his face onto the wooden floor beneath him. Espresso paid no mind to his fallen glasses, squeezing his eyes shut and continuing his break down into his knees. His whole body shook with tears eventually shivering from the cold breeze coming in from the open window next to his bed.

He slowly looked up, blinking at the blurry room around him. The door had creaked open and Pomegranate was standing in the doorway. Spotting Espresso's red, tear stained face, she rushed over and sat next to him, putting an arm around him to comfort him.

She hugged the brunette, rubbing circles into his back and whispering to soothe him.
"Shh.. It's okay. Breathe Espresso, breathe."

He knew that she was trying to help him but her voice was cold and stiff, only partly soothing the mage. She could sense him tensing up under her un-consenting touch so she let go and patiently waited for him to quiet into small hiccups.

Pomegranate bent over and retrieved the stray round rimmed glasses from the dusty floor, reaching over to brush a stray strand from Espresso's face to behind his ear and carefully placing them back on his nose. He will admit, it felt good to have his vision restored at least.

He smiled at his sister gratefully, rubbing his eyes with the bottom of his palms.
"Sorry."

"Do not be ridiculous. What caused your sudden distress?"

Espresso sniffled sadly, grimacing slightly.
"She... got mad again."

Pomegranates gaze drifted down to the very obvious red slap mark on his cheek. Espresso swear that he saw sympathy flash across her eyes for only a millisecond. She only blinked and sighed, brushing his injured cheek which made him flinch a little.

"This would not of happened if you hadn't been fooling around at that unnecessary battle a few days ago." her harsh tone biting at him.

What? She's blaming me? Isn't she meant to be supporting me, making me feel better? Like a good sister should? Does she even care?
Espresso shook his head at his thoughts.
No. Don't be an idiot Espresso, of course she cares, she's your sister. She cares.

I know she cares.

She has to care.

Right?

The mage stayed silent, staring at his hands.
Pomegranate patted his back, "Go to bed, it's late."

She got up from the bed, brushing of her long wavy scarlet dress. Her heels clacked on the wooden planks as she made her exit, softly shutting the door behind her.

Espresso sat still on his bed, mind whirring.
Now that he really thought about it, had his siblings ever cared?

Licorice, he always thought he had some sort of special connection with Licorice, perhaps because he had the same skill type, magic.
He'd always cared right?

His thoughts were deterred back to the memory of how he'd never care about his injuries nor feelings, always brushing them off with a roll of his eyes. Sometimes when he was younger he'd even swipe his scythe at the mage, often leaving small cuts on his skin, but always claiming it as a joke. He'd often find Licorice in his room as well, destroying his personal belongings with a satisfactory laugh as Espresso cried for him to stop. And he especially remembered when he'd leave him alone in battle, always choosing to save himself and let Espresso take the damage. Coward.

No, of course Licorice cares for me, how could he not?

Pomegranate, god sometimes he really hated Pomegranate. And Pomegranate most likely hated him back with how many times he'd annoy her until she was practically ripping her hair out. But no matter how infuriating she could be, he always went back to her for comfort, advice and other things to which she'd return without having to blink for one second.

Pomegranate cares.

Dark Enchantress.

He already knew the answer to this question.

You never cared.

Espresso pulled his thin blanket over him, shivering from the cold air. Nobody bothered to fix the lock on his window, letting the breeze trickle in and the window constantly rocking back and forth with a small squeak. He'd found it annoying at first but had gotten used to it. Sometimes it even helped him fall asleep.

He closed his eyes and listened to the creaking, eventually drifting off to sleep.

~

1192 words