Chapter Six ~ The Celestial Light

A few hours had passed by since the mage was carelessly ushered into a sizeable cell somewhere upstairs in the castle. He really was not looking forward to it due to past memories, but the uneasy feeling in his gut had been chewed and spat right out as soon as he laid his light brown eyes onto the setting before him.

The cell was... nice.
It wasn't dirty or smelled of sweat and vomit. It was well kept, tidy with a smooth stone floor and the over intoxicating smell of Vanilla overwhelmed Espresso's nostrils. His jaw slightly dropped open, slack with the shock of seeing a nice made up bed with white ironed sheets and a change of clothes neatly folded upon it.

In the corner was a metal toilet and a sink, above it being a small window blocked off by bars to prevent any escaping. He was snapped right out of his daydream though, as soon as Madeleine nudged him inside a little too harshly causing his glasses to fall halfway off his nose.

Espresso pushed his glasses back up, spinning around angrily, "You better watch it—"

"Ah, ah, ah." He waved his finger back and forth like he was scolding a toddler, "I would watch those anger issues if I were you."

The knight grinned, peering at the mage who was glaring intensely into his soul silently wishing he had laser eyes so he could just blast that stupid smug look off of his face. Madeleine only continued his smug grin, leaning on the wall in front of the cell.

In an awkward silence, Espresso shifted on his feet glancing around the room to take in all of his surroundings.

Why is this cell so disgustingly nice?

He scrunched his nose, smelling the strong stench of Vanilla waft through the air once more. The brunette sighed, padding over to the bed attached to the wall with chains and lying down, placing his hands behind his head as a pillow.

After a few minutes of silence, Espresso started to whistle.

So much so, he could have felt he was at his own concert performing for a vast audience. Until he heard a loud exasperated sigh from across the room.

"Will you stop that? You're hurting my ears." Madeleine groaned, clutching his forehead.

Espresso scoffed in offence, "You're such a buzzkill. Like Mr. Old man Officer from earlier."

"What?" Madeleine sputtered, "I'm not even old."

Espresso grinned cheekily, "Oh yeah? Probably in your thirties then."

The knight frowned, "I'm twenty. Not that old if you ask anyone with a brain."

Now this actually surprised the mage since he had thought that he was at least a few years younger than him (obviously had been joking about the knight being old). But it was quite the shock to learn that he was only older than Madeleine by a measly year.

"Huh."

"Was that really so big of a surprise?" Madeleine asked nonchalantly.

Espresso didn't answer. He stared up at the ceiling in confusion instead. How did that knight manage to look so youthful? So tall and strong with a pretty face and even prettier eyes.

"Ugh." Espresso groaned, dragging both of his hands down his face, disturbing his glasses.

I am not about to envious of this imbecile.

He needed to distract himself.

Espresso sat up cross legged on his bed so he was facing the knight again. Madeleine in return didn't bat an eye, continuing to fiddle with his armour looking very bored and very uncomfortable.