Chapter Five ~ Interrogation

His head pounded, wounded arm throbbing with pain. Espresso was slowly slipping back into consciousness. Muffled voices were conspiring around him as a bright light was shone into his eyes. The mage immediately winced, leaning away from the light source.

"Great, he's awake." a voice muttered.

The mage slowly inched his eyelids open, blinking and squinting around the room. Why is everything so blurry? Oh wait.

"Ughh, where are my glasses..?" Espresso groaned.

He turned his head towards a shuffling noise, waiting until his glasses were finally returned to his. Now he could get a clear look around the dimly lit room. He appeared to be tied up to a chair, his arms pinned behind his back. In front of him was a wide wooden table and above it was a single over hanging light bulb. There also seemed to be no windows in sight. Behind the table stood 3 cookies, 2 were familiar and 1 he had never seen before. The unfamiliar cookie looked a lot older than him, a beige jacket wrapped around his shoulders while wearing a white button up shirt with a tie. He could also see an officer's badge plastered on his shirt pocket.

Great. Am I in jail or something?

The other 2 cookies were familiar to him. One obviously being that weird Gingerbrave kid and the other...

Espresso locked eyes with the knight yet again, narrowing his eyes and glaring at him as if he hoped that if he stared at him hard enough his head would explode. Madeleine returned the glare, crossing his arms.

Gingerbrave noticed the tension and put a hand on the blond's shoulder to distract him from the mage.

Espresso gritted his teeth, "Where the fuck am I!?" he spat.

"Calm down sir we just need to ask you a few questions." The unfamiliar cookie stated. "My name is Officer Almond Cookie."

"Let me go!" Espresso yelled, squirming in his chair.

At that moment, a piece of rope rubbed harshly against his open wound making the mage gasp out in pain. He glanced down at where blood was now seeping through the ropes, hissing.

"Oh my.." Gingerbrave rushed over, trying to clean up the crimson liquid that was dripping onto the wooden floorboards.
"Please remain calm and still sir." Almond instructed.

Espresso let out a shaky breath, pain in his eyes. He looked to Madeleine, expecting him to be grinning at his misery... except he wasn't. He was staring at him with a look that resembled sympathy. The knight really looked sorry.

No. No he isn't sorry. He'd have to hear him apologise to believe that bullshit.

"Ah.. I'm truly sorry for that. I was angry. I don't expect you to forgive me, you're in a lot of pain."
His voice was soft and reassuring. The fire that previously burned in his eyes had melted completely into something gentler.

Espresso swore he felt his own eyes soften just a tiny bit.

Nope.

Definitely still hate his guts.

"Alright sir, so your name is?" The officer asked.

Madeleine and Gingerbrave stood next to him, waiting for the mage's reply.

Espresso stayed silent, biting his bottom lip and staring at the table in front of him.

"Sir?"

"Stop calling me that. It's Espresso." he scoffed.

Madeleine raised an eyebrow. Espresso huh? He will admit, it is a nice name. Espresso.

The knight spoke up, "Well Espresso, nice to meet you. My name's Madeleine." he smiled.