Chapter Twenty One ~ One Kiss is All it Takes

Madeleine knocked on Latte's front door, to which she answered it with a wide smile while Espresso stood to the side awkwardly watching them chat it up on the front steps.

It was the weekend now, meaning that everyone had the day to do as they pleased. Latte had her hair tied up into a messy bun, wearing only a light brown singlet and some shorts. Madeleine also had his hair tied up, except it was tied into a ponytail with a vibrant blue ribbon. He wore an airy blouse-looking shirt with simple black pants. As for Espresso, he hadn't bothered changing his usual hairstyle and found his cloak perfectly fine to go out in. Because there was no way he'd ever dream of having to borrow some clothes from the blond cookie he was currently sharing residence with.

He'd just have to go into the market and buy some clothes himself.

"Come on in you guys!" Latte moved out of the doorway and gestured for them to step inside.

The two did as she asked and entered her humble home, immediately being greeted with the comforting scent of freshly brewed coffee.

They entered her kitchen, taking a seat at the small round table as Latte bounded over to her coffee machine, pulling out three mugs.

Madeleine was leaning against the table, head in his hands while he stared at Espresso curiously.

The mage leaned away from his stare, getting a teensy bit flustered.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he hissed.

"You still haven't told me why you decided to tag along. Are you finally beginning to warm up to us?" Madeleine teased, eyes half-lidded. 

Espresso scoffed, "In your dreams."

Madeleine chuckled.

Latte came over to the table with three mugs of steaming hot beverages, placing them gently on the wooden surface. 

"Okay... here's your black coffee, no sugar.." she mumbled, passing the mug into Espresso's grateful hands. The brunette took a test-sip, immediately smiling at the pleasant taste.

"And here's your frappe!" Latte passed the mug in front of Madeleine who thanked her. Espresso stared at him in disbelief.

"Seriously? A frappe?" Espresso jabbed.

Madeleine took a long sip, shrugging. "It's less bitter."

"But it's just a few shots of espresso with milk." he protested. 

Latte glanced between them nervously, "Uh, guys--"

"Why would anyone ever think of putting milk in a perfectly good coffee?" Espresso exclaimed.

Madeleine looked him dead in the eye, taking another sip of his drink.

"Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I just fancy my espressos with a little milk," he replied.

"That is absurd--!" 

"Did you two come into my home just to argue!?" Latte yelled.

The two returned into a normal sitting position, straightening their postures and smiling apologetically.

"Right. Apologies." Espresso muttered.

Latte sighed, taking a seat with her own beverage in her hands. 

"We shall discuss what you came for," she tilted her head towards Espresso, "After we finish our lovely drinks that I whipped out for us out of the kindness stored in my heart."

Madeleine grinned and the mage rolled his eyes.

Outside, his composure was cold and unfriendly, judgemental gaze hidden behind his round glasses. But internally, he was buzzing with excitement at the possibility that he'd finally be getting his magic back.