Chapter Thirty Nine ~ Journey to The Forgotten Library

Latte slumped herself a top a wide log with an out of breath groan, beads of sweat that were drawn out by the heat of the afternoon sun gliding down her forehead. It had been multiple hours now, since they had left the Cacao Kingdom and the climate had rapidly changed. No more snow, no more teeth chattering wind that left the tips of your fingers and your nose icy cold and red. Latte was really starting to regret choosing to wear a flowy dress and white smooth leather boots. Obviously she'd assumed it would likely stay cold for most of the journey, and oh how she was terribly mistaken. At least she had a wide brimmed hat.

Though she found herself questioning how Espresso, Raspberry and Madeleine were able to sustain themselves in this environment with the thick layers of clothing they were wearing. Especially Espresso, who was doused head to toe in black, the one colour that is scientifically proven to attract the most heat compared to every single other colour there is. If you squint though, you can see he is actually starting to wear out, each step he took wobbling slightly that it looked as if he would just topple over.

Custard somehow didn't seem to be tired at all, as he took every chance he could to escape from Raspberry's line of sight to go poke around in bushes or chase an animal. Madeleine was... well, Madeleine. With his sparkling aura, walking with perfect posture like some sort of royal, it looked as if he hadn't broken a single sweat. Typical, Espresso glanced at him then rolled his eyes.

Raspberry sat herself down next to Latte, propping her head in her hands while her elbows balanced on her knees. "Someone please switch places with me. He's a menace."

Madeleine chuckled, one hand resting on his sword's holster as he stood in front of the two. Meanwhile, Espresso went off to fetch the runaway child. Sure Espresso wanted to go on this long epic quest but he definitely did not sign up for extra babysitting.

"I suppose this is a good spot to set up camp for the night," He raised his other hand as he looked up at the horizon, shielding his eyes from the sun's glare.

"Thank the Gods!" Latte cheered.

The night was dangerous, with it came it's numerous night beasts that came out to hunt. But he could handle them.
"You two gather firewood, I'll set up here and wait for Espresso and Custard."

Latte's celebratory smile immediately dissipated as she opened her mouth to protest but found it no use as she was tugged along by Raspberry. They descended into the forest, out of sight, which honestly made Madeleine a little nervous. What if they ran into trouble? Would he be able to save them in time? He shook his head, eyes widening as he heard twigs crunching from behind him.

Madeleine quickly unsheathed his sword, whipping around and prepared to attack. Standing frozen with his eyes equally wide was Espresso, holding Custard's hand as he too stared at him in confusion. "It's just us! What's gotten into you? Are you feeling alright?" he moved a leg in front of the kid just in case he really was going rogue.

Maybe the heat had gotten to his head a little, Espresso thought. Madeleine's shoulders relaxed as he slide his sword back into the holster with a small sigh.

"Sorry, sorry. It's dangerous out here, I wasn't going to take any chances." he turned to continue his previous task, dinner.

Espresso raised an eyebrow in reply, leading Custard to the little area that they would be camping in for the night. "No sleeping bags?"

"Nope. Gotta make do with what you have I'm afraid," Madeleine answered, his back still turned as he fished out some bowls and spoons.
"You can borrow my cape if you'd like."

"I have mine," Espresso snapped quickly, taking a seat on one of the logs, "Where are the girls?"

"Firewood," Madeleine flicked his head in another direction, pointing the mage towards where they'd gone. Custard took a seat in front of the log, leaning his head against Espresso's leg.