22.

A/N: DID YALL SEE THE TRAILER FOR DSMOM? IT WAS INSANE! So excited and I hope you are too! Quick reminder it comes out on May 6th, 2022, and Moon Knight, a new show, comes out on March 30th, 2022. <3 

── · .゚☆: 2 DAYS BEFORE EMERGENCE, CHICAGO :☆゚. · ──

I FLIPPED my dagger, sitting at the end of the table farthest from the door as the other two were peaking over the corner, watching Phastos help his son brush his teeth. I heard the two chuckle and laugh down the hall, then it stopped. I assumed he saw Ikaris and Sersi watching them. 

Sersi whacked his shoulder telling him to sit down. They quickly pulled up a chair, acting normally. She grabbed a random book, pretending to read it, before Ikaris playfully yanked  I chuckled, looking up at them and away from my knife. "Real casual. Like he totally didn't see you."

"Yeah. Incredibly natural, guys. Thank you, Irene, for staying in that chair. Unlike some people." Phastos thanked me, glaring at the other two. "So, after all these years, even you fell for Ajak's lies." He continued, taking off his glasses.

"How could he not? He kissed her ass for like 65 hundred years." I scoffed, playing with the blade in between my fingers. "Do you have like... a dart board or a wall for me to throw these at?" I gestured to my throwing knives placed on the table, which I had been cleaning. 

"Irene!" Sersi exclaimed at me, wide-eyed like the other two.

"What?" I looked around confused at them.

"They have a kid." Ikaris reminded me. 

"No-duh, I know. But who says they can't have fun once in a while?" I shrugged smirking.

"Whatever, we're going off-topic. Phastos, please, continue." Sersi sighed.

"It makes sense why she wouldn't let us interfere with human conflicts. Conflicts lead to war, and war actually leads to advancement in life-saving technology and medicine." He continued, fidgeting with a toy cube. "So, our mission was never to make a peaceful or harmonious world, but to increase the population at all costs. Just farming humans as food for the Celestials, right?" 

"That's bleak." Ikaris commented, brows furrowed.

"Well, so is telling your husband and your child that they could be dead in a few days." Phastos retorted quickly. 

"Thought you'd given upon humans."

"I got lucky. Okay? I have a family now. They give me faith again. And I see the good in humanity in them every single day. So look, I cannot help you. I'm never leaving them." Phastos explained, denying our request. 

"Phastos..."

"I'm sorry, Sersi. It was wrong for me to use my powers without thinking about the consequences in the first place. So, now, I choose to use my hands, to fix my child's bicycle, okay?" Phastos apologized, lying about the last part.

"Do you?" I and Ikaris said at the same time.

"I don't use my powers anymore." 

"Sure, and I'm still dead." I scoffed, standing up and picking up a couple of knives. 

"What are you-"

I cut him off, by throwing my 4 knives at the glass with my enhanced strength, meaning it should've shattered, but it didn't. The glass emitted gold accents and the blades bounced off and onto the ground safely. 

"That looks like someone's been using his powers. And I bet you've built the perfect safe house. What is this even made of? Vibranium?" Ikaris asked before using his arm to hit the wooden table in half with a loud thud. 

"Don't-!" Phastos yelled. 

I picked up my weapons tucking them back into their places in my boots, hoodie, pockets, and sleeves, and sat back down.

"Fall collection, IKEA. Ass. How did you even deal with this guy for over 5 thousand years?" Phastos yelled and asked Sersi.

"If you stay here, you might as well invite the deviants for dinner. Never mind waiting or the end of the world." Ikaris added.

"True, they're following us. If you want your family safe you need to come with us now." I sighed, siding with Laser Face for the first time in a while. 

"No, I'm sorry. You can't just show up in my life and expect me to go with you." He still denied it. I looked at the door, sensing another presence, Ben. 

"You should go, Habibi." Ben advised. 

"You want me to go?" 

"You know what my mother would say to you right now, right? Quit procrastinating, Phil, and take care of your business." Ben spoke in Arabic. "He's a chronic procrastinator."

"I'm not leaving you two. No way." Phastos stood up facing his husband. 

"I'm not happy about it, but if there's a chance for us to watch Jack grow up to live a life of his own, we should take it." 

That sentence was all it took for him to agree and the next thing we know Phastos was saying goodbye to his family.