prologue

a/n:
if this chapter doesn't make you cringe then i wrote it wrong. please enjoy our main character's villain origin story (part of it) & don't worry, her name is not what it looks like.

timeframe: start of high school, characters aged 15/16.

content warnings:
🌹 (kinda), 🩸

—————

[🎵 do re mi – blackbear; what is playing in the background, not to set the mood. just gives me peak middle school party vibes 🤌]

"Bella, please." Mikasa pleads as she grabs ahold of my arm to pull me back down to the couch. "Just stay here," she curtly says.

"But now is the perfect time to tell him 'kasa, pleeeeeease," I whine, attempting to squirm out of her strong grip on my arm. "Doesn't everyone do these types of things at parties anyways?"

Mikasa sighs deeply, staring intently into my eyes before she continues, "Eren hasn't been the same since the summer, Bella. Ever since the accident he's been...different, like a new person. Not the one we grew up with."

The heavy bass of the music surrounds us as we sit in the overcrowded living room of Eren's mansion, formerly owned by the whole family, now willed to him entirely. The air was thick, filled with the heavy stench of weed and subtle hints of fruit from those vaping throughout the space. Across the living room were people dancing on top of scattered coffee tables that must've been relocated to this one area throughout the course of the party.

Starting in the eighth grade, Eren had hosted a party on the first day of the new school year. It was a new tradition within our friend group, but I loved every moment of getting to meet new people.

I pull Mikasa's grip off of my arm, causing her hand to fall into my lap as I stare directly back at her worrying eyes. I always loved how protective she was of me, but in this moment I couldn't tell if she was more worried for me, or Eren.

Nevertheless, I continue, "That's exactly why I should go talk to him. Come on 'kasa," I strain, "I've known you, Armin and him since we were eight. His family was family to me, just like they were to you. I'm not incompetent, I know he needs his family here for him, even if it's just us. And when you're going through something as terrible as loss of a family member, having someone let you know that they care for you can make all the difference."

Mikasa gives a blank look, telling me she was surprised at my confession being more than just a selfish desire. Still, I notice her restraint as she goes to grab my hand in her own, lacing her fingers with mine. She had been my closest friend since we first met, my outgoing demeanour just so happened to blend well with her shy shell; she knew everything about me.

"Bella I know you like him, and I know you've liked him since the day we all met. But the Eren up there is not the Eren you know. He's been falling apart and no matter how hard Armin and I have been trying to alleviate some of the pain, all he's been doing is ruining his life."

"And that's whyyyy," I sang as I began to rise from the couch, "I'd be the perfect person to talk to him now. It's like a fresh face." I smile back.

Immediately, Mikasa pulls my shoulder down with a force five times greater than before, causing me to fall onto the edge of the couch and slip onto the floor. My ass collides with the hardwood as I wince in pain.

"No, Bella." Mikasa leans down to whisper-yell in my ear with a voice that causes chills to radiate through my body. "You're not hearing me," she breaks out, "He's started messing with girls like I've never seen before. He's been getting drunk almost every night Armin and I come in to check on him. You go up there, you'll get hurt."