sunset gets itself

author's note:
this chapter is so steamy i could take a shower in it. enjoy the utter chaos. also, just gotta remind you, our main character is not a kind person. so set the bar in the grave for her 😍

content warnings:
blood, gore, death, alcohol and drug consumption, light smut (kinda? just gotta edge you for the chapter that comes next 😌)

---

The skin of my forearm is a rippling butter melting under the shear weight of the impact.

White-pinned canines puncture into my supple, unaware flesh. Streams of warm, auburn liquid trickle down where the incision begins and span a spraying distance to my collarbone. Flickered speckles dot my neck as the pressure only increases, a whip of the hound's neck surely to follow suit in any moment and rip off half the limb as if I were a plastic toy.

It was naive enough of me to think that an abandoned facility amid an evergreen forest would be uninhabited. In a place so desolate despite the casual groups that would whisk away on the concrete paths, it's no wonder that a dark cavern became a safe haven for more than just leeches and mice. It was a den, and an extremely intuitive one at that.

I need to push past the shock or half my arm will no longer belong to me. My body a dinner for a stomach that will only desire twice as much come the morning.

The dim-lit space only grants my vision minimal access to unpack the surroundings, but it's enough to uncover the face of the lunging beast before me.

It's a wolf. Not doubt one that is hungry, starved, considering the nature of its eerie habitat within the crumbling walls of the power plant.

The scruffed face is hollow and worn, with crisp and course grey hair encompassing it's every juncture. Bearing its teeth and growling with no remorse, the canary yellow beads that barely resemble eyes remain wide and attached to my own.

Along with the stomping of heavy shoes rattling the metal staircase behind, I hear deep and frightening yells. But they seem so far away. So incredibly meaningless in comparison to the kill-willed animal that latches on to me.

Focus, Ara. Focus.

Porco had once taught me a technique to unlock an opponent who dare use his or her's jaw against me. Though it was all in good fun at the time, and most likely an excuse for Porco to initiate more physical contact, I hope to whatever being out there that it would work.

My free hand roams the dark air before I can even discover its whereabouts. Moving swiftly, I clamp my fingers to where the wolf's jaw unites and dig my nails as deep as I can into the crevice.

It lets out a defeated whine as its teeth are forced to dismount from the saddle-like hold they had fastened onto my arm.

With my hand now firm underneath its jaw, I take my wounded arm and shove a finger into its eye.

The resounding yelp fills the space as I leverage my grip to shove its muzzle into the solid banister of the stairway. It's body falls limp for what I assume will be only a few minutes. I can finally let out a breath.

The breath is cut in half by the sound of paws splashing in the cold tube's water.

I need to move fast. There are more coming.

"Get your ass up here!"

Finally, I lock onto an extremely frightened pair of emerald eyes, frantically trying to shut the heavy, white door at the top of the stairs.

At a speed that can only be described of as reckless and last-hope motivated, I sprint up the clattering stairs with too wide a gap between each increment.