ANNABETH

Annabeth

Meanwhile, in Greece...

Annabeth Chase leaned against a pillar of the Parthenon, wiping little beads of sweat off her forehead. She sighed. It had been a hectic day, what with her talking-no, arguing-with various other architects who thought they knew more architecture than she did. Annabeth gave a snort. She was beginning to regret signing up with this bunch of rowdy idiots. Being the only female architect, they believed themselves more superior and constantly tried to hit on her, despite the fact that she was in a relationship with Josh Frost. Annabeth grimaced. Josh Frost. She didn't exactly want to think about him, since every time she thought about him, she felt a deep emptiness and a hollowness inside her. She quickly recomposed her face as she heard footsteps coming her way.

"Hey love, how're you feeling?" Josh asked, walking over to stand next to her.

What do you think? I'm tired and I just feel bad. Go away. Annabeth thought but she quickly plastered a half-smile on her face as she answered. "Oh, I'm fine dear, thanks for asking. You?" Annabeth said as sweetly as she could, which she doubted sounded sweet.

Josh smiled. "I'm fine sweetheart." He said, leaning in to give her a kiss. Annabeth responded half-heartedly. Josh pulled back, concern in his eyes.

"Sweetie, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit tired, and I have a slight headache from arguing with those blithering idiots." Annabeth lied smoothly. Well, mostly lied. Those architects really were stupid idiots.

Josh grinned again. A grin that Annabeth had once found attractive but had lost its luster soon. "Well, you know how work goes slowly here. What do you say to a late afternoon at the beach?"

Annabeth's stomach lurched at the mention of the beach but she concealed it. "Sure, I'll meet you at our hotel in a hour and a half alright? There are just a couple more things I want to see and check." Annabeth said, really hoping that Josh would go away now.

"Ok sweetheart, I'll see you later then." Josh said, giving her a kiss on the cheek and walking off.

Annabeth clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. She hated those cheesy endearments. The instant he walked off, the feeling of deep emptiness, guilt and hollowness filled her. Annabeth knew exactly what was causing them as she wandered around the perimeter of the Parthenon aimlessly; her mind slipping back to what had led her to her current position, more than six months ago...

Whoosh! Clang! Clonk! CRASH! A dummy fell to the ground, cut clean in two, its cloth in shreds and its straw stuffing basically gone.

"Percy! Why are you training so hard? You've been destroying the dummies so fast that we can barely make enough for the other kids! And you've been training like crazy for the past three months! What for? You think the Titans are going to rise again?" Annabeth asked jokingly as she added in the last part, watching Percy rip and slash apart the dummies with his dual blades. But Annabeth was serious too, Percy had been training so hard, you would've thought that he was going to fight Gaea herself in a day.

Percy paused and wiped his sweaty brow, capping both of his Riptides. "Hey Annabeth, how's it going?" He asked in weary but cheerful tone.

Annabeth arched an eyebrow. "How's it going? You're training so hard, I'm surprised most of the campers can actually sleep! And I'm worrying my mind off wondering why you're training! WHY? The war's over Percy, why train so hard?" Annabeth yelled.

Percy shifted uncomfortably. "Well, I don't want to get out of practice..."

"That's a load of Minotaur dung Seaweed Brain! You know it and I know it. Besides, that's what you've been telling me the last three months. Can't we just spend some time together?" Annabeth asked, pleading a bit.