PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE:
"This was long overdue"

          THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF MARLEY ROXANNE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE IN HER HEAD

THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF MARLEY ROXANNE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE IN HER HEAD. There was another side to her, like there is two sides of a coin. The second person that haunted her mind was a darker, much for violent person that was created by all the anger and trauma Marley experienced over her lifespan. From growing up without a father, to her mother taking out of her drunken rage on the ten year old daughter. Widow came about as Marley's body reacting to the unnecessary violence.

Widow first came about when Marley was eleven. A year after her father's death. Twelve months after her mother started drinking and became incapable of controlling her anger. Marley wasn't aware of the Widow at first. She figured the constant blacking out and dissociation was just from the abuse becoming too much. She didn't think anything of it until a year later when her mother snapped.

She could recall the moment like she was reading a script. The loud pounding of the rain outside echoed as her bedroom door slammed open, an enraged Michelle Roxanne standing on the opposite side with a split lip and bruised eye. The sight startled Marley, and hearing that it was because of her left her dumbfounded. But as Michelle began screaming harmful claims towards her daughter, Marley blacked out again.

The Widow made sure they wouldn't have to be harmed again. Without a second thought, the alter beat Michelle relentlessly, grinning as the drunk woman fell unconscious across the timber floorboards. With a huff, she moved, collecting a bag full of clothes, food, water bottles and other small essentials, escaping before the authorities arrived.

When Marley came too, she was sat at a diner, a warm mug of hot chocolate sat in front of her. Beside it was a napkin with a black sharpie placed next to it. The writing said: We are never going back there. It's time we formally met.

As the years went by Marley and Widow started to find alternative ways to speak to one another. The most useful was within their mind, falling into it whenever the host body passed out or fell asleep. The true appearance of Widow was haunting. She was a much more damaged Marley Roxanne, bruised and bloody with permanent injuries across her skin. As a result of Marley's anger and trauma, the alter had created her appearance out of negativity. Her voice was twisted, echoing through the darkness whenever she spoke. Even if she spoke gently and was sat across from Marley as they played a boardgame or ate together, the voice pounded throughout the system.

"We can't stay here." As always, Widow's voice echoed, adding to her frustrations towards Marley's decision. The alter's purpose was to protect the original, so whenever she got an inkling of a risk, Widow thought the worse and pulled them elsewhere.

"Where else are we meant to go?" Marley snapped, nursing her bruised cheek. She still didn't understand how real injuries transfer to her consciousness. "I'm not living on the street again."