NINE

Chapter Nine:
"I guess shitty parents is part of the job
description when you become a convicted criminal"

            "WAIT! So, Peacemaker's father is a racist cult leader?" Marley clarified as she followed Adrian to the front door

            "WAIT! So, Peacemaker's father is a racist cult leader?" Marley clarified as she followed Adrian to the front door. There was an old man gardening in the front yard beside them who stared with an odd look in his eyes as the unfamiliar pair steppe to the front porch. Marley would be lying if it didn't make her a bit uncomfortable.

           Adrian threw an arm out and pointed to the upside down flag fluttering loudly above. "Does the upside down flag not give it away?" He leant towards Marley, their heads almost touching as the pair stared up at the flag.

           Marley pursed her lips, turning to Adrian with their faces lingering close together. "That actually makes a lot of sense..." she admitted, laughing softly. She held one of her hands to her lips in an attempt to quiet her giggling. "Is that why people think Peacemaker's a racist?"

           The sound of her laughter had Adrian in a short trance as he watched Marley get amusement from knowing Christopher Smith's family heritage. She seemed lighter then before, and it made him temporarily forget that she was criminally insane and was meant to be in an Asylum. He snapped out of the spell Marley had summoned upon him as he heard her calling his name.

          She repeated her question, and Adrian nodded. A small smile fell to Marley's lips as she followed him inside. "I guess shitty parents is part of the job description when you become a convicted criminal," she said with a small shrug. "You grow up neglected too?"

          "Something like that." After picking the front door's lock, Adrian pushed the doorway open, letting Marley in first. "What about you?"

           Marley didn't reply at first as she took in the home, the stench radiating throughout it assaulting her senses. There were quite a few scraps of random litter decorating the timber floorboards, stains upon the carpet being Marley's number one avoidance. But, other then that, it seemed like a relatively nice home. Definitely not one you'd think a racist would live in.

         "Um, my mum wasn't great," Marley said in response to Adrian's question. "She had her moments but there were more bad ones then good." She glanced back to Adrian, watching him take a look at the letters covering the wooden coffee table. "What's that?"

"Don't know..." Adrian muttered, flipping the paper between his hands with genuine interest. "Eviction notices hopefully. Get the bastard out of this godforsaken town."

"Why don't you end him yourself?" Marley suggested, letting him guide her further into the home with a hand rested on her upper back. She looked up at him, watching as his eyes darted to examine basically everything they passed. It seemed as if he was distracting himself from Marley's suggestion. "You've thought about it before, haven't you?