NINETEEN

Chapter Nineteen:
"You're actually the least triggering thing in this group. Which says a lot about this group."

              MARLEY'S EYES HURT

MARLEY'S EYES HURT. But it felt different to cry tears of joy over tears of terror.

               Her head leant against the window out of exhaustion, the soft rumbling cutting through the night as they weaved through the streets of Evergreen. Adrian had been practically silent since Marley's confession, especially after she explained what "a fractured mind truly meant".

                She glanced over to him, squeezing his hand from where they laid over the glovebox. He momentarily removed his eyes from the road to glance at Marley with a soft smile that didn't reach his eyes.

                "Are you mad?" Marley suddenly asked, heart lurching with fear. "That I didn't tell you..."

                 "No... no, I'm not mad," he assured with the shake of his head. "You shouldn't have to feel forced to tell anyone that. I would never want to pressure you into doing that so..." he trailed off again, squeezing her hand with a similar grip. "Thanks for trusting me."

                 Marley grinned, letting out a soft sigh as she slouched in her seat, returning her head to the window. The cool air conditioning graced her features gently, easing the warmth left from her tears. 

"Can you hear her?" Adrian asked through the shared silence, catching Marley's eyes from behind her fallen hair.

Marley's lips pressed into a thin line and she glanced to watch her reflection in the rear view mirror. In her mind, she could see Widow's devilish smirk and nightmare enduring grin accompanied by the bloody features she possessed within the security of the mental prison. As she watched the reflection contort into a horrific version of herself, she felt as if something was clawing at her insides, fighting for freedom. She couldn't really tell if that meant Widow was happy Adrian knew of their disorder.

                  "I sometimes feel like I can see her in my reflection, or feel her trying to front," Marley confessed, leaning her head back with a soft sigh. "But no, I can't hear her. Instead, she leaves me little notes after fronting. So, I have that to look forward to everyday."

Adrian nodded, somewhat coming to understand the disorder a little more then he had began with. It was still confusing, but the main thought that plagued his mind was the how. The amount of trauma that must be inflicted upon a young mind to make it fracture so badly left him speechless. Marley didn't have to describe anything, Adrian had a pretty good idea on what caused it. And he planned to find the mother and make her pay for what she did.

"I think Widow knows," Marley confessed gently, feeling herself fall in and out of reality. It was starting to feel as if she was watching herself from beyond the body, watching as she began dozing in and out of rest. "She's trying to front."